2016 Skate Canada Men's LP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Men's LP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
not talking about the quad salchow LOL that was his best jump of the night ;)

The quad toe wasn't great, compare to patrick's and you see the difference.
the triple axel going into the 3S is leaning forward a bit, not as straight as yuzu can do....
the triple flip and lutz, some were nicer and bigger tonight. On both jumps you can see that yuzu's free leg is very close to the ice when landing and there's not as much flow out of the jumps as some other men tonight...we saw gorgeous flips even in the first group. I think you need to remember this. The judges will also remember the best jump of each category of that night...
etc... sorry but as I said, you can look it with your eyes, i look with my eyes :) YMMV

Last edited:

Lysambre

Final Flight
I do think Yuzu was lowballed on GOEs, especially on his 4S and 3As combos. But that's not something we can change anyway. Frankly, I'm glad he won the LP, it was a deserved win.

The one who was really robbed, imo, was Misha Ge, both for his short and his long; I'd have him much higher, maybe even on the podium. Misha made a great choice when he decided to choreograph his own programs. They might not yet be perfect, but they really enhance his skating. He's my good surprise of the year so far.

Congratulations to all the medal winners :gclap: and also to the non-medal winners, you all worked hard, well done, whatever your results :thank:

Last edited:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I could watch Patrick skate all day. Don't you think he's become more "human" after his comeback? Like now that he is older and has experienced the good and tough times, he ads more layers to his performance. He's not that perfect robot that I used to think anymore. I'm so happy he's still skating!

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
To be very honest, the choreography of Yuzuru's program this year is quite underwhelming. There are too many turns and steps in-between but there is not much memorable artistic moments. It is like turns -> jumps -> steps -> crossover -> turns -> jumps etc. There is the point where he just stopped in the middle, which is so awkward......I don't think Shae-Lyne is the best person to choreography this kind of music with Japanese music element, maybe Yuzuru should change the choreographer for this kind of music, like Kenji Miyamoto? Just sayin'

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
To be very honest, the choreography of Yuzuru's program this year is quite underwhelming. There are too many turns and steps in-between but there is not much memorable artistic moments. It is like turns -> jumps -> steps -> crossover -> turns -> jumps etc. There is the point where he just stopped in the middle, which is so awkward......I don't think Shae-Lyne is the best person to choreography this kind of music with Japanese music element, maybe Yuzuru should change the choreographer for this kind of music, like Kenji Miyamoto? Just sayin'
I think the program is still very rough. Let's not forget with Seimei, Yuzuru had whole last summer to practice and perfect it before audience in ice shows. The SP was reused.
This season both of his new programs were done without any ice show experience. He was off ice for almost 3 months so he had to start from 0 again. He needs time to adjust to the layout and music as well as the transitions. I think he will peak by second half of the season.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
He should go back to China. Maybe he'll fall 5 times and win a silver medal there again. :cool:

He definitely should go back to China (or France) if he can work it out. His jumps might get the GOEs they deserve and a double jump fest disaster won't win out there while the judges desperately try to hold up Chan. Embarrassing. Of course, as I said at least it's positive frustration and Chanada is now finally out of the way so moving on!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I tried...but fell asleep sometime after Yuzuru. I tried so hard to keep my eyes open, but it didn't work out. Loved Misha Ge and Brezina. Gosh, Brezina...when exactly was the last time he skated a clean program? Isn't it time to celebrate people? For these two and what they achieved tonight? Misha was great too, I loved is nutcracker...

So I didn't watch Patrick yet, but I'm kind of confused how Yuzuru won the free with such big errors. There were flashes of brilliance and his old stamina problems. But he did look good and not as pale and tight as in the SP. I think his programs this year are brilliant. Joe Hisaishi, you cannot go wrong with this music. I could have watched another season of Seimei, too, but this is great. Still a bit empty at times like some of you noted, but I think with time this can be another one of Yuzuru's great programs. It's in my top 3 of his already. I have a feeling that he's finding his own style and there is more input from his side, now. That's great and I can feel it in his skating. As this is Skate Canada, I'm not worried for him. He will win NHK and probably the final too. The problem is Worlds. ;)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I'm sorry that Yuzu had so many mistakes. I like this more than Seimei. When he'll be at his best (GPF?), this LP will be a masterpiece.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I'm sorry that Yuzu had so many mistakes. I like this more than Seimei. When he'll be at his best (GPF?), this LP will be a masterpiece.

Did he really had many mistakes ? His mistakes were missed quad loop and doubled 4S, but other than that he had everything else great, landing 2 quads and 6 perfect triples

Patrick had 1 quad, 5 triples, and 4 popped jumps, missed 4S

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Did he really had many mistakes ? His mistakes were missed quad loop and doubled 4S, but other than that he had everything else great, landing 2 quads and 6 perfect triples

Also the SP.
For other skaters this would be ok, but for Yuzu standards it's not. He got us used to performances out of this world. But this will bring even more motivation for NHK so maybe he'll repeat last season's performances :)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Congrats to Yuzu on winning FP, to Patrick on winning SC! I kind of agree some elements in Yuzuru program could get a little higher GOE. Patrick got higher PCS deservedly for me here. I'm happy Kevin has skated well, but his FP has bored me a lot, it was hard for me to watch. Michal is a true Potato King! I've seen some has put him on 4th in Predictions because of this and they were right :biggrin: I'm devastated for Han Yan. :cry: The Judges started to give him low SS score, because of bad skates, and that is disaster, since SS is his strong point.. But the program itself is terrrible, they should redo it.

I've yet to watch others, but judging from scores it wasn't great for many of them...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I can't imagine SA ever refusing Hanyu. Per Orser, it was Hanyu's fans who filled up half the seats at SC. If he had been at SA, I don't think two-thirds of the seats would have been empty. Even though both Mao and Shoma were there, their combined presence was not enough to make a real difference in turnout.

Which makes me wonder: Is it Japanese fans who are "holding up skating" or is it the fans of Hanyu? If it's the latter, FS is really going to be in trouble when that kid retires from competitive skating.

No, I don't think so. Before Hanyu there was Takahashi. He had fans, older female fans. I think some of them hatched onto Yuzuru now. It would be interesting to see the demographics. Of course you need certain financial security to travel to Canada for a skating competition, (often times curtesy of a well-off husband?). The camera shortly had three older japanese ladies in focus, who reminded me of the 'auntie' fans of Daisuke. After Yuzuru retires, there is Shoma, or there will be another young one to take his place. And honestly? If you're not interested in figure skating as a whole and just there for one individual 'idol', I think the sport doesn't need you as a spectator anyway. It's the competition that makes a skater, imho.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Hanyu – liked the program and music very much! Most of the costume is beautiful, except the top part around the shoulders. Would this be one of those awful Weir creations?

Chan – liked the choreography, but the “funeral” music is boring and does not go anywhere. Really monotonous four and half minutes...

It was to be expected that Hanyu will be second here, so no surprise in the result...

Lys

Match Penalty
So Chan got +2.14 GOE on 3A while Hanyu 1.8 and 1.2 for combos... whaaaaaat ?:unsure:
Chan popped quad to 3T got more GOE than Hanyu's 3A combo....
Two judges givin only +1 and 0 goe on Hanyu's 4S , lol

This is a joke

Why, a judge giving same 0 GOE on Patrick's 3a-touch-down-2t and Yuzuru's 3a-lo-3s? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
So Chan got +2.14 GOE on 3A while Hanyu 1.8 and 1.2 for combos... whaaaaaat ?:unsure:
Chan popped quad to 3T got more GOE than Hanyu's 3A combo....
Two judges givin only +1 and 0 goe on Hanyu's 4S , lol

This is a joke

Honestly, same story as last year. People always focus on the PCS, but there's just as much weirdness going on with the GOE.
People can defend Chans GOE all they want, thing is, Yuzu also has qualities that Patrick doesn't, but didn't get rewarded for it here - again, like last season. Afterwards, we never saw Patrick getting more GOE rewards than Yuzu all season. So I don't think it's worth paying this so much mind here (unless for amusement reasons ;) )

And honestly? If you're not interested in figure skating as a whole and just there for one individual 'idol', I think the sport doesn't need you as a spectator anyway.

Disagree. FS isn't all that popular to begin with, and we need butts in those seats. People going for one skater alone - as long as they're repectful and appreciative of the others too and not rude or ignorant - should be just as welcome. I don't see how some fans 'aren't needed anyway'.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Honestly, same story as last year. People always focus on the PCS, but there's just as much weirdness going on with the GOE.
People can defend Chans GOE all they want, thing is, Yuzu also has qualities that Patrick doesn't, but didn't get rewarded for it here - again, like last season. Afterwards, we never saw Patrick getting more GOE rewards than Yuzu all season. So I don't think it's worth paying this so much mind here (unless for amusement reasons ;) )

Disagree. FS isn't all that popular to begin with, and we need butts in those seats. People going for one skater alone - as long as they're repectful and appreciative of the others too and not rude or ignorant - should be just as welcome. I don't see how some fans 'aren't needed anyway'.

I didn't write that you cannot be a fan of an individual skater and cannot go to a competition to support just them. I wrote that if you aren't interested in figure skating as a sport and just that individual person as an 'idol' character, then the sport won't miss you when you're gone.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I didn't write that you cannot be a fan of an individual skater and cannot go to a competition to support just them. I wrote that if you aren't interested in figure skating as a sport and just that individual person as an 'idol' character, then the sport won't miss you when you're gone.

Yeah, I can read. And I disagree, because if the seats and arenas stay empty, the sport will miss the fans - even 'idol' fans. Simple as that.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yeah, I can read. And I disagree, because if the seats and arenas stay empty, the sport will miss the fans - even 'idol' fans. Simple as that.

Obviously not. Because if you apply that logic then the fans of the person will be gone as soon as the skater retires. And figure skating as a sport has gained nothing. Simple as that.