2017 World Ladies SP | Page 117 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies SP

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
*sigh*, you never read and think about what was written. I specifically said it doesn't matter what a skater received in the past, we can say NOW that a skater from years ago who received 8.5 deserved 9.5 instead. Thus, all other skaters should be measured by that bar and should not be receiving 9's in comparison.

It's utterly pointless to have a bar that no active skater reaches, because the whole purpose of scoring is to determine correct placements, not historically rank performances from past years. What if someone "deserves" a 10 for PE in 2014, and then someone comes along in 2019 and skates as well. 10? Then, in the same event, someone surpasses both. There is no room above. The ceiling should always be the best in the world at that time.

andromache

Record Breaker
Let's just say I don't agree with the criteria for GOE, and am personally bothered to see +2s and +3s on average spins and average jumps with tanos especially for a few crop of top skaters. People don't comment on spins as much as jumps but spin GOEs irk me the most.

Spins GOEs irk me too.

But I don't think Evgenia's entrances/exits to her jumps get enough credit from some skating fans. (That said, at times her jumps still get high GOE even when they look more labored than they did today).

ETA: Just rewatched the program. The only parts that I can knock in today's performance are the little toe-pick motions she does at the beginning (they really look stupid - and I say this as someone who doesn't at all mind the other "miming"), and the gloves. Don't wear gloves unless you can make your hands look graceful and gorgeous as heck. And tbh basically no skaters can.

Also the StSq is extremely well-choreographed.

Last edited:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Back from skiing in one of the best N Am spots - Banff - and super excited to see 2 of that countries best step it up - Kaetlyn and one of the most attractive female skaters, Gabby, in the top 3. If they can only hold onto those spots in the FS, there is always that possibility, please just 1 of them hold on!

And Ms Karen must have found her Gulfstream cause she showed up fresh and ready to fight. A little disappointing to she her put up her best score and still only (barely) be in the top 5 (c'mon US). With that said, she is starting to look like the future of the USFS. Ashley is chomping at her heels so the FS looks to be a heavy weight fight full of intense action. Mariah, well, she is Mariah and IMO displayed once again that she is not and will not be a world podium contender, but she is a wonderful talent and s/b super proud of what she accomplished this year. She has put herself on the map and much more will be expected from her next year - I for one wish her well and always cheer for the underdog. I just have to think out loud, would Mirai have given us another top 10?

magicalwords

On the Ice
Spins GOEs irk me too.

But I don't think Evgenia's entrances/exits to her jumps get enough credit from some skating fans. (That said, at times her jumps still get high GOE even when they look more labored than they did today).

ETA: Just rewatched the program. The only parts that I can knock in today's performance are the little toe-pick motions she does at the beginning (they really look stupid - and I say this as someone who doesn't at all mind the other "miming"), and the gloves. Don't wear gloves unless you can make your hands look graceful and gorgeous as heck. And tbh basically no skaters can.

Also the StSq is extremely well-choreographed.

I wasn't picking out Evgenia, but since she was mentioned, here's my problem with her GOE. Even with giving credit to her entrances/exit/arm variation, I don't agree with +2s and +3s she gets - specifically on her combos (esp 3 jump combo) because the way she jumps (slow and labored) creates a disruption between her jumps. Her combo is not smooth. It's tiring to watch her jump. But we don't see no judges taking off points for that, do we. Sometimes I wonder if her jumps would have higher quality without all the transitions. But yeah, I hope she works on it during the off-season.

Spin GOEs problem is more widespread. I expect to see Alissa Czisny-level spins if I see all those +3s on the protocol.

yude

Record Breaker
I was happy and excited to see wonderful performances from ladies last night, I hope FS is going to be exciting as this and wish Japanese skaters the best :agree:

Fuji TV's broadcast was totally a MESS, it even became an article says many people got so mad (including me).
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2017/03/29/0010047558.shtml
They aired only two skaters in the first 40 minutes and didn't air only Mai's performance live, which was unbelievable.
I'll watch Mens on beautiful live stream of CBC mainly tonight :biggrin:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Also I gotta say that I enjoyed Ivett too! I saw her at Euros and here and she's definitely one I'll be watching more.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
People who keep moaning that Yuna's scores should never be topped must think that time, skating, or judging has not evolved and has remained exactly the same in the years since she has skated :rolleye: As if judges are suppose to hold back and judge in comparison to the past and not the current competition that is happening right before their eyes :palmf: If skating followed that line of thinking it would bleed fans and the sport would die.

There is no ceiling roof. There is not concrete definition of perfection or gold standard. It varies year to year, competition to competition because judging panels, ways of thinking, and skating itself changes. Everything becomes dated at some point, although many do become classics. The marks like it or not will keep going up and up. Even skaters who don't even make the podium will receive higher marks. And in 3-4 years the marks we see now will be rather small looking as the marks from 4 years ago do now.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I couldn't stop laughing at Tursynbaeva's mortified reactions to her mom at the kiss and cry. Brian: "Your mother's funny!" Sometimes I forget so many of these skaters are still basically children.

That lady is her mother? Her over-the-top reaction even embarrassed sophisticated Brian! :rofl: This is the funniest moment in the K-and-C that I have ever seen! :laugh:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It's utterly pointless to have a bar that no active skater reaches, because the whole purpose of scoring is to determine correct placements, not historically rank performances from past years. What if someone "deserves" a 10 for PE in 2014, and then someone comes along in 2019 and skates as well. 10? Then, in the same event, someone surpasses both. There is no room above. The ceiling should always be the best in the world at that time.

Urgh, no. The whole point of CoP is you get what you get regardless of when or where. It is one system everyone is measured against, not against each other.

guitarist

On the Ice
That lady is her mother? Her over-the-top reaction even embarrassed sophisticated Brian! :rofl: This is the funniest moment in the K-and-C that I have ever seen! :laugh:
I think so, that's what Brian said, and Elizabet was trying to take the phone away from her, so if not her mother, definitely family. It was hilarious :laugh:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Poor Yuna gets dragged into these conversations every time. I love Yuna, I could watch her Gershwin every day. But I really like Evgenia too. I honestly don't care about World Records because 1. The sport changes every year and 2. What's the fun in a record that never gets broken? Both Yuna and Evgenia earned their successes.

The LP is going to be great, especially if the ladies are as solid as they were today.

bobbob

Medalist
Ashley was totally robbed...her technical and program components were unusually low... Evgenia skated well as always, so did Katelyn, Gabby, and Anna (personally I would not have Anna 4.5 points below Katelyn), but all four plus Ashley and Karen, Maria, and Wakaba skated well.

Not sure how the free skate will play out, but things will be interesting.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Urgh, no. The whole point of CoP is you get what you get regardless of when or where. It is one system everyone is measured against, not against each other.

So your belief is that the point of the scoring system is, primarily, to allow us to compare these programs to those as far back as 2005? With completely different technical requirements. Oh. Ok.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think so, that's what Brian said, and Elizabet was trying to take the phone away from her, so if not her mother, definitely family. It was hilarious :laugh:

Other than that, she tried to pretend her mom wasn't there at all by ignoring her. She would not look at her or talk to her, which didn't seem to dim Mommy's joy and enthusiasm the least bit. :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So your belief is that the point of the scoring system is, primarily, to allow us to compare these programs to those as far back as 2005? With completely different technical requirements. Oh. Ok.

I've never really believed that and to me that seems kind of unrealistic. CoP seems the most logically effective when a 8.5 is used as a measure only against others who are competing under the given panel of judges. Considering weights and balances of the judges swaying opinions that define what the 8.5 is because if we compare different events, fields, panels, goe's, etc....one event isn't likely going to accurately depict the panels legitimate and natural biases in another event. Unless the same judges follow the Grand Prix circuit for an entire season and to entertain the discussion, over entire years in fact.

To me there is nothing wrong with a 9.0 looking different depending on the make up of the panel. Actually if you think about it the larger events would tend to inflate the most when the scale is under heavier use. Or in other words...larger fields of skaters to compare. Right? That's pretty much what we see too. Worlds and Olympics tend to go up. Nothing to see here... these are not the components you are looking for :cool:

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
the whole purpose of scoring is to determine correct placements, not historically rank performances from past years.

Wrong, the purpose of this scoring system is to try and quantify exactly what the competitor did on the ice in mathematical form. How a performance is scored informs how the entire sport of figure skating trains and what they try to achieve. If someone sees a certain element or performance receiving much higher scores than it really deserves, then that competitor will simply aim to hit that level in order to achieve the points. The won't try to go beyond, or to innovate, because they know it won't be rewarded.

What if someone "deserves" a 10 for PE in 2014, and then someone comes along in 2019 and skates as well. 10? Then, in the same event, someone surpasses both.

That's why it's better to be conservative with the top-end scores. You can give someone a 9.5 at a current event if needed, thus still leaving room for something even better in the competition. Although, realistically, people are aware of what skaters are relatively capable of. Very few skaters are ever capable of doing something worthy of a 10. Two in the same competition is nearly impossible and in my mind it's only ever happened once ever - 1996 Worlds with Michelle Kwan and Lu Chen.

guitarist

On the Ice
Other than that, she tried to pretend her mom wasn't there at all by ignoring her. She would not look at her or talk to her, which didn't seem to dim Mommy's joy and enthusiasm the least bit. :laugh:
Oh boy, that brings back memories from high school :laugh: Guess it's a mom thing.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Catching up with the ladies from earlier groups - I couldn't watch it continuousy ... Ivett really took my attention from those! Michael Jackson medley was epic and Rippon double axel incredible.

What a fun program and crisp performance, well done! Score above 60 is also nice, 14th after SP is a big improvement over last year where she did not qualify to LP. She really made big improvements in her skating and interpretation over last year :) It was also nice to watch Julia Gór - Sebestyen in K'n'C as well.

I watched live Laurine, program was beautiful but that big fall on combo was costly. I think she should stay with 3T-3T combo for a while ... I am sad, but at least she's in LP too and
can get Olympic place for France. We will see Sandy and cool costume change. [emoji3] :luv17:
Laurine and Ivett are my two favorites. I was so devastated when Laurine fell. It was about 5 in the morning and I just started crying. I very so disappointed for her. The 3Lz-3T was so strong at Euros. She should be vying for the Top 10 -- there is no doubt about it in my mind. That short program is my favorite of all time (including all disciplines). What a shame that she wasn't able to show her potential. Just a reminder that life isn't fair. Anyway, I am still not really over feeling sad for her. I hope she'll be fine and still looking forward to next year.

Ivett on the other hand was so strong today -- what a joy that was to see her feeling so good after her skate. She was just *awesome*. Love that kid. [emoji7]