2019 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The highlight of this whole event was Mai's free skate. To me it was magical.

Rika showed her grit again and rightfully stormed back to claim gold.

Kaori...I'm so sorry, but worlds is right around the corner for redemption! :ghug:

frida80

Record Breaker
The difference was 0.3. There was no such thing as "rightfully beat them both". It really could have gone either way.

I was talking about the idea that Elizabet’s score was inflated for such a ridiculous reason as preventing a Japanese sweep. Mai messed up her SP. Kaori made a major mistake in her FS. Theses are the real reasons why there wasn’t a Japanese sweep, not some anti-nationalist judging.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SO happy for Mai. She was ethereal out there tonight. Oh, those beautiful soft knees! The audience could hardly wait to jump to its feet for a well-deserved standing ovation. Congratulations to Mai!

Very sad for Ting. I was waiting to see the same Ting I saw at Nats a couple weeks ago. It just went from bad to worse to hot mess. I hope she can regroup and get her nerves under control.

Also sad for Kailani. I've always enjoyed her. Something seemed really off tonight, and she seemed to hesitate as she went into most of her jumps. Not sure how much of it comes through in the broadcast, but someone a few rows from me yelled "We love you Kailani" while she was in the K & C. So glad she heard the lady and smiled. I hope she's not injured. (Sorry if it was already mentioned here. Haven't had time to read everything)

Country
Russia
Congratulations to Rika and Elizabeth!
They made maybe not all for their best, but enough for gold and silver.

Others were mistaken too much. Hope they will be more clean soon.

And congrats to new coaching team of Elizabeth! After 8 and 12 places at 4CC she got silver.
Now 4CC is also for this coaching team (known as team Eteri).

And for Bradie - forget 3Lz+3Lo as a nightmare. It never gives you any advantage. More suitable content will give you more. Look to Elizabeth - she lands 3S+3T, 2A+3T and 2A+1Eu+3S, repeats less expensive 3S and 3T, but she does it.

Country
Russia
I was talking about the idea that Elizabet’s score was inflated for such a ridiculous reason as preventing a Japanese sweep. Mai messed up her SP. Kaori made a major mistake in her FS. Theses are the real reasons why there wasn’t a Japanese sweep, not some anti-nationalist judging.
Yes. Mai lost very much in SP, Kaori in FS singled 2A and lost one triple.
If not so - Japanese sweep would be guaranteed (if others skate as they skated).

Btw I see friendly judging both to Elizabeth and Mai.

Orlov

Medalist
Yikes, Tom's words to her as she gets off the ice. :slink: "You don't want to let those get away from you. You gotta be stronger. You gotta push yourself." Yikes.

I really don't understand it, honestly :)
Zakraychik for the first time earned my respect (usually he is so fake and sickeningly sweet), and you are angry with him. We are really different ...

Orlov

Medalist
Aw, Kaori! Still a lovely performance! And STFU, Johnny, saying she's lacking in artistry. I honestly don't know what he's talking about.

Johnny is absolutely right. And yes, all three Japanese figure skaters have inexpressive, homogeneous, non-memorable programs.

century2009

On the Ice
I like the competitiveness of the Japanese ladies, but Johnny is right that all the programs are becoming the same and you can't tell which lady is doing it. It is just not memorable.

I hope the Japanese women do something different because all this same classical, instrumental programs are just boring.

Bradie really got hammered by the Tech panel.

I really hope Mariah just put it together by World. So much potential and opportunities but not grabbing it.

I hope Elizabet attempt that quad at Worlds. It would be amazing, and she has nothing to lose.

Eunsoo Lim is beautiful and just needs more time to work on her jumps.

century2009

On the Ice
After this season, Ting should really get away from Tom Z. She has potential and feel Tom Z is ruining her like Camden.

readernick

Medalist
Johnny is absolutely right. And yes, all three Japanese figure skaters have inexpressive, homogeneous, non-memorable programs.

Well, anyone with a picture of that choreographer as their GIF does not have what I would refer to as “taste” but even if you don’t like the programs you have to see how different they are... Benoit, Tom Dickson genius choreographer), and David Wilson have vastly different styles. It would be like saying Moskvina, Tarasova dan Daniil G. all produce the same choreo. It is a ridiculous statement. ( and hugly insulting to Tarasova and Moskvina— both incredible women)

readernick

Medalist
I like the competitiveness of the Japanese ladies, but Johnny is right that all the programs are becoming the same and you can't tell which lady is doing it. It is just not memorable.

I hope the Japanese women do something different because all this same classical, instrumental programs are just boring.

Bradie really got hammered by the Tech panel.

I really hope Mariah just put it together by World. So much potential and opportunities but not grabbing it.

I hope Elizabet attempt that quad at Worlds. It would be amazing, and she has nothing to lose.

Eunsoo Lim is beautiful and just needs more time to work on her jumps.

We all know Johnny opinion is useless. Rika’s program is a masterpiece. The best lp of the season. David Wilson and Benoit are not choregraphers I personally enjoy but Kaori's and Mai's choreography is radically different. I guess you think all skaters who have good SS skate and great flow are all alike?

Orlov

Medalist
Well, anyone with a picture of that choreographer as their GIF does not have what I would refer to as “taste” but even if you don’t like the programs you have to see how different they are... Benoit, Tom Dickson genius choreographer), and David Wilson have vastly different styles. It would be like saying Moskvina, Tarasova dan Daniil G. all produce the same choreo. It is a ridiculous statement. ( and hugly insulting to Tarasova and Moskvina— both incredible women)

I didn’t want to say that these choreographers have the same style. But they are professionals and are able to produce products of different styles and levels of quality. So the problem is that Japanese women usually take the same type of product. It's not about the choreographers, but about their clients.

madison

Record Breaker
I didn’t want to say that these choreographers have the same style. But they are professionals and are able to produce products of different styles and levels of quality. So the problem is that Japanese women usually take the same type of product. It's not about the choreographers, but about their clients.

Rika's free is different and very interesting kind of contemporary music and choreo.
Kaori usually has out of the box choreo and programs.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Rika's free is different and very interesting kind of contemporary music and choreo.
Kaori usually has out of the box choreo and programs.

Its the same soft lyrical style for all three of them this year. With similar soft kind of movements and expressions. Noone is skating to some dramatic piece of music, latino rhythms or modern pop, rock, rnb songs. So any of those three can skate to the music of other two, it will be the same. In that regard i agree with Johnny.

Fluture

Record Breaker

If you want to call Rika‘s Beautiful Storm inexpressive and non-memorable, by any means, do that. I think it‘s one of the best programs this season, with a unique message and lots of subtle details. Kaori is more of an athletic skater but her programs are very different compared to Mai‘s or Rika‘s. Mai might be the closest to what you said, since I don‘t believe she‘s got the best package this season, her programs could be a bit more memorable. But all in all, Japanese ladies have long ago moved on from the past, Rika, Wakaba, Satoko, Kaori and Mai all have different personalities and show that in their skating. You might not like some of these programs but to say they are all the same... well, you‘re allowed to have an opinion but please don‘t present it as facts.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, There is some confusion about NBC versus NBCSport versus NBCGold. NBC is the main channel that Johnny and Tara are always on and that is a broadcast channel. NBCSport is a second-tier cable channel. Sometimes you get Johnny and Tara if it’s deemed something of interest to U.S. more casual audience.

NBCGold is the streaming service through the internet. No commentary, and they air U.S. high-profile and some lesser-known events with no commentary. Plus you can rewatch at your leisure. I balked for a bit because of the yearly subscription price, but it’s been the best 60 bucks I’ve ever spent. I can stream in the middle of the night from my iMac while I work. Not sure if it works with Chromecast or Roku. Haven’t taken time to check.

It’s fantastic. No Johnny. .....

I use NBCSportsGold on an Amazon firestick and I know people who use it with Roku. It also works on Android and Apple phones, and computers.

I suspect Chromecast would be fine.

readernick

Medalist
Its the same soft lyrical style for all three of them this year. With similar soft kind of movements and expressions. Noone is skating to some dramatic piece of music, latino rhythms or modern pop, rock, rnb songs. In that regard i agree with Johnny.

Nothing about Rika’s program is soft. It is strong and dramatic.

And, Benoit’s choreo is just out of the box and angular. I am not a big fan but it is not “soft” choreo.

Mai’s programs are soft and lyrical but she is the only one.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Nothing about Rika’s program is soft. It is strong and dramatic.

And, Benoit’s choreo is just out of the box and angular. I am not a big fan but it is not “soft” choreo.

Mai’s programs are soft and lyrical but she is the only one.

Not this year tho, and i don't see something wrong in conclusion that choreography and interpretatition of those 3 programs look similar to one another. You can say the same for the 2 Mishin's skaters. But look at the programs of 3 Americans or 3 Canadians here, or 3 junior Russians for a different example!