2021 Denis Ten Memorial: Juniors Free Skates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 Denis Ten Memorial: Juniors Free Skates

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Aww I missed Ivan Popov :(

Rather than join the boys LIVE at the start of Group 2, I decided to continue getting ready for quarter past the hour as planned, and then started watching from the start.

So, I just finished watching Popov there now, and he was going really well until near the end. He fell on his Double Lutz, and then was a bit wobbily on his next element, which was a combo (I can't remember what the TES Box said it was). But, after that there were no more problems that I saw. On the whole, he was really good.

I'm joining you guys now for the Ladies FS, and then I'll watch Group 2 of the boys when the girls are over.

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aibike is a really pretty name! Trouble on the jumps, but spins are good.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I really enjoyed that opening programme from Aibike ESENTAEVA of Kyrgyzstan.

It's good to see a skater from a country that we hardly ever hear tell of doing well.

She's only 2 points behind the next girl to skate, so there is a chance that she will climb up off the bottom.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I like this dress! And the music too :)

According to her ISU Bio, the music was "Diferente" by Gotan Project.

Mmmm. About 5 points lower than she scored in her Junior GP. And it was a similar difference in the SP.

She's only 14, so plenty of time for her to grow as a skater.

CaroLiza_fan

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Oh wait probably, I was looking at the FS scores only.

Congratulations to Feodor on silver and Semion on bronze!
Far be it from me to question the coaches, but one thing has been bugging me. This is like the fourth time in a row Semion finishes his FS behind the music, and the -1 deduction for the time violation cost him the silver here. It would be such an easy thing to fix, just tweek the choreo so he can start the final spin a little earlier.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Far be it from me to question the coaches, but one thing has been bugging me. This is like the fourth time in a row Semion finishes his FS behind the music, and the -1 deduction for the time violation cost him the silver here. It would be such an easy thing to fix, just tweek the choreo so he can start the final spin a little earlier.
Indeed although it's not so much the finishing after the music it's going over the maximum time, of course the music usually goes for the full length of time. But technically if you made your music last 4 minutes you could finish 10 seconds late and not lose points (I believe the time of an FS is 4 minutes +/-10 although maybe it's 3 minutes 30 for Juniors? I think the allowance of +/-10 seconds is the same)! It'd probably affect your PCS though.

But it IS weird! How does Semion fall behind? I don't remember him falling. 🤔 A puzzle!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When the music went silent and Darya SVOBODINA continued skating on I though "Oh, no. There's going to be time deductions". But, it turned out to be one of those DJ traps. The music restarted after a couple of seconds.

Again, like the girl before her, this was an enjoyable programme.

Darya nearly matched her score from her last Junior GP, which was back in 2019.

You know, there are some very promising home-grown young skaters coming out of Central Asia. Which is so good to see.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You know, when I saw her surname, I assumed Elizaveta was from Kazakhstan's Korean community (just like Denis Ten was). But, I'm not so sure now.

Anyway, she skated well. And with the lead she had from the SP, she will definitely remain in the overall lead. And, with the next 3 girls being within 2 points of her after the SP, she has a good opportunity to climb places.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Our second skater from Kyrgyzstan, Sofiia SHUBINA, was really good! And, with today being Hallowe'en, it is very timely.

I loved the cackle before the "Once Upon A Dream" section in the middle started, and the crow cawing at the end of that section.

Oh, I hope @elektra blue is able to watch this programme at some stage later on. She would love it!

Without doubt my favourite programme so far. Hope Sofiia takes a big lead.

:cheer: WELL DONE!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sergei V!!!! 🥰

His girl, Sofiya FARAFONOVA, was the last of that group of close skaters from the SP that I was talking about. And she has taken a commanding lead of nearly 8 points. The other 3 skaters from that group have stayed relatively close.

Just realised, so far there have been no changes in the order from the SP. Will Farafonova change that by climbing?

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Have to be honest, I didn't enjoy that "Les Misérables" programme from Maria MANOVA (BUL).

I don't know which cast that was, but the singing wasn't great. And there were quite a few mistakes in the skating too.

Although the advantage that Manova had over Farafanova in the SP was quite big, I think Sofiya might just leapfrog Maria.

EDIT: No, she didn't. Manova took the FS lead by about a point, and extended her overall lead to about 6 points.​

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Marianne MUST take the lead.

(Sorry, I just had to make her name into a sentence, and that was the best I could come up with. :slink: )

What a beautiful colour of a dress! It really suits her, but I'm not sure if it suits the music. It was darker music.

Nevertheless, it was a good programme. Few mistakes (including a fall), but I think she'll hold on.

EDIT: And she did. So, still no changes from the SP order.​

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow! Sofia S has been busy! She must have come here straight from Sochi!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so I switched back to the Junior Men during the resurfacing, and got it up to the end of their Group 2 Warm-Up. So, while the ants were going around the rink, I decided to have a closer look at the Junior Ladies FS standings.

Are you sure this is a Ladies competition and not a Men's competition? Because, of the 8 skaters we have had so far, only two of them have not had any falls. And they are the skaters in antepenultimate and penultimate places! The skater in second position (Manova) has even had 2 falls!

Let's hope that now that the ice is clean, the skaters in this final group will be inspired to go clean!

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Are you sure this is a Ladies competition and not a Men's competition? Because, of the 8 skaters we have had so far, only two of them have not had any falls.
Well it's Junior Ladies, they tend to fall more I guess? Or maybe they've decided to try their hardest jumps here for some reason.

But fresh ice should help I agree!