2022-23 Coaching, Country and Discipline changes | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Coaching, Country and Discipline changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Alisa Efimova and Misha Mitrofanov have teamed up, with Alisa switching from Germany to the USA: https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...uristka_Alisa_Jefimova_budet_vystupat_za_SShA

Alisa has already received her release from the German Fed, but will be unable to compete internationally next season.
Why is there no option for English translation?

This will definitely be an interesting partnership. Efimova has lovely skills and elegance, as does Misha. Efimova has shown a weakness in jumping consistency, but I don't know whether to attribute that to tech issues, or simply to competition nerves. Once they get used to each other, I think the twists, throws, lifts and death spirals could be something to behold.

Why are they ineligible to skate this coming season? Is it because Misha hasn't competed in over a year, and it's a new partnership, with one partner having repped a different country last season? Is it that altho' Efimova was released, she still must wait an entire year before competing internationally?

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States

This will definitely be an interesting partnership. Efimova has lovely skills and elegance, as does Misha. Efimova has shown a weakness in jumping consistency, but I don't know whether to attribute that to tech issues, or simply to competition nerves. Once they get used to each other, I think the twists, throws, lifts and death spirals could be something to behold.

Why are they ineligible to skate this coming season? Is it because Misha hasn't competed in over a year, and it's a new partnership, with one partner having repped a different country last season? Is it that altho' Efimova was released, she still must wait an entire year before competing internationally?

It's the latter one - since she competed last at Worlds, she will need to wait until after the next Worlds in order to compete internationally again since she's switching countries.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I can't tell you, my browser gives me the option to translate the page when I open it. :unsure:
Every skater who switches countries has to wait for one year between their last international competition for their previous country and their first international competition for their new country. The release (or lack thereof) only affects whether they have to wait even longer (like Ivan Desyatov for example, who should have otherwise been able to compete internationally for the US in October 2022).

Weathergal

Medalist
Alisa Efimova and Misha Mitrofanov have teamed up, with Alisa switching from Germany to the USA: https://matchtv.ru/figure-skating/m...uristka_Alisa_Jefimova_budet_vystupat_za_SShA

Alisa has already received her release from the German Fed, but will be unable to compete internationally next season.
Katie McBeath / Daniil Parkman: We're the surprise pairing for the US this season.
Alisa Efimova / Misha Mitrofanov: Hold my beer, er I mean sports drink.

I'm glad to see Efimova still skating. I've always liked her and was glad that she paired up with Blommaert after splitting from Korovin. It seemed like the pairing with Blommaert could really have gone places, but unfortunately he was done. Misha's fun to watch as well so hoping for this best for this pair.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, it seems as if most people in skating are avoiding talking about McBeath/ Parkman, perhaps because it's being kept so much under wraps. Thus, it's not them thinking they're the 'surprise' pairing. The lack of an announcement is probably related to negotiations for his release.

I was surprised that not even TSL has mentioned anything or hinted at anything about McBeath/Parkman, or Nate's apparent retirement, unless Nate is planning to pair with Megan Wessenberg 😉 (It's more likely that Nate is training with Megan while she continues looking for a partner). She may need to look abroad too.

TSL didn't even mention Efimova/ Mitrofanov. Maybe they didn't hear about the E/M pairing prior to their broadcast today. Dave did mention Izzo/ Ferland. But that announcement had been quickly removed from Instagram.

Efimova & Korovin looked good together, tho' they didn't often perform consistently. There were so many better and politically well-placed teams ahead of them in Russia. It's not surprising that they split and both left Russia to further their careers elsewhere. Efimova is a lovely skater, but she has some weaknesses, as I already mentioned. It also remains to be seen if having a less tall partner will aid Misha's lifting skills. For sure, on paper, and from the talent we know these two possess, it should work out well.

Time will tell regarding all these new pairings. I love pairs, so I'm excited to see what happens. We should get to see some of these pairings at domestic comps this season. Parkman has to wait a year too for int'l competition since he competed with Metelkina on the GP last fall.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When Dave mentioned Izzo/ Ferland on the latest TSL episode, he wondered which country they would be skating for. Since the post about their pairing was made on the WASApairs Instagram (later removed), I think it's safe to think that Izzo/ Ferland have decided to skate for the U.S.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
After Oly and lots of splits/retirements people were like: omg, no pairs left

New pairs suddenly form: omg, the level of pairs?

🤔
That somehow tends to happen. 🙂 Some fans are overly caught up in recent developments and situations, rather than taking a broader view. Last season was transitional on a number of levels. I really like pairs, so I found it interesting to watch all the pairs teams, even those with lesser skill sets. It was an education in how difficult pairs is. Some of the new teams on the scene who are still learning right now (including Roscher/ Schuster) may end up being a top team by 2026, or beyond. And hopefully, I get to witness their journey, as well as the journeys of other burgeoning teams. In the end, the journey counts more than the destination.

Lots of skaters, it seems, are seizing opportunities to explore what they might be able to accomplish in pairs. I hope the discipline continues to grow in every way.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When Dave mentioned Izzo/ Ferland on the latest TSL episode, he wondered which country they would be skating for. Since the post about their pairing was made on the WASApairs Instagram (later removed), I think it's safe to think that Izzo/ Ferland have decided to skate for the U.S.
well... is it? I mean, it looks like it.. but at the same time, it could simply be that Thierry wanted to train somewhere else than what he is used to right? How many non-Canadian teams train in Canada for instance ? (pairs and dance etc). Considering Deanna decided to represent Canada because it was pretty much impossible for Maxime to get US citizenship... I wouldn't exclude anything.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
well... is it? I mean, it looks like it.. but at the same time, it could simply be that Thierry wanted to train somewhere else than what he is used to right? How many non-Canadian teams train in Canada for instance ? (pairs and dance etc). Considering Deanna decided to represent Canada because it was pretty much impossible for Maxime to get US citizenship... I wouldn't exclude anything.
If they haven't said definitively, we won't know for sure until they do. Still, I'm not aware of any int'l pairs teams training in the U.S. at the moment. Name who they are, if I'm wrong. We possibly could see it with Liu/ Nagy. It did happen with James/ Cipres, and a younger French pairs team, who once trained in Florida, with John Zimmerman. However, we do not see that with pairs too often in the U.S. We see it more in Canada with int'l pairs and especially int'l ice dance teams training there. We also see it sometimes with ice dance in the U.S.

Thierry's split with Lori-Ann wasn't yet mentioned by SC that I'm aware of. In any case, I think Thierry is basically interested in continuing his career, and he either saw there was an opportunity to try out with female skaters at WASA, or he was recruited.

I remember when Castelli & Tran partnered, Marissa was adamant she wanted to continue repping the U.S. and also train part-time with her U.S. coach. Mervin's firm desire was to continue training with his Canadian coaches, but he was willing to rep the U.S., since he'd repped Japan for five years before splitting with Narumi Takahashi and returning to Canada. This mixed approach did not work for Castelli/ Tran. Ultimately, Marissa gave up being coached p-t in the U.S., but an overall bumpy and late start for C/T competing internationally simply added to problems they faced.

In fact, I think C/T's competitive career was somewhat hampered by training and competing at initial events in Canada. They were not favored politically at Canadian int'l events going head-to-head with another new team at the time, Moore-Towers/ Marinaro. Of course, there were other obstacles for C/T, including tech drawbacks that were never resolved, and only seemed to worsen over time. This, despite the fact C/T were a very stylish, fast and polished team overall.

Whatever country I/F rep, since Thierry did not compete last season, and Gabbie is new to pairs, perhaps they will be eligible to compete a full season. Granted of course, if one or the other is released to rep whichever country they've chosen. 👍

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not sure how Castelli-Tran came into the picture (no need for the history lesson, you know, we are all fans of the sport and we know these things ... ) In any case, we will just have to wait and see. Thierry is an extremely gifted pairs partner with super strong lifts, good throw technique and steady jumps up to the 3Flip. With the right partner, he could manage much better results than previously. Skate Canada may not want to grant him a release so quickly... Apparently, rumours say that Soucisse-Firus are not getting theirs this year... and at this point, in the current state of things, I would think Thierry is a stronger asset than Soucisse-Firus. The official news may exactly be pending the release of one or the other skater, so I will wait for that.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Considering Deanna decided to represent Canada because it was pretty much impossible for Maxime to get US citizenship...
Actually, from what I understand, Deanna wanted to move up, and it was next to impossible for her and Nate to make headway with the talented and experienced top pairs teams in the U.S. at that time. I think Deanna and Nate won bronze at their final U.S. Nats. Then when Nate had to undergo surgery for an injury, Deanna took that opportunity to move on, and look for greener pastures in Canada.

Perhaps Deanna first went North to train, but she was likely also on the lookout for a partner. When she and Max began practicing together, he quickly nixed his plan to leave Canada and partner with an Asian skater. With Max as her partner, I think Deanna was always intent on getting her release and applying for Canadian citizenship.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, from what I understand, Deanna wanted to move up, and it was next to impossible for her and Nate to make headway with the talented and experienced top pairs teams in the U.S. at that time. I think Deanna and Nate won bronze at their final U.S. Nats. Then when Nate had to undergo surgery for an injury, Deanna took that opportunity to move on, and look for greener pastures in Canada.

Perhaps Deanna first went North to train, but she was likely also on the lookout for a partner. When she and Max began practicing together, he quickly nixed his plan to leave Canada and partner with an Asian skater. With Max as her partner, I think Deanna was always intent on getting her release and applying for Canadian citizenship.

I don't want to speak for 4everChan, but I believe he is referring to the decision as to which country to represent once Deanna and Max teamed up. They have both said they were open to representing either the US or Canada, but that Deanna could obtain Canadian citizenship by the Olympics, whereas they were told by immigration experts that Max surely would not.

Deanna has said that she and Nate split because Nate was not certain when/if he would return from surgery, and Deanna did not have the time to spare. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

there are a few interviews in which Deanna explains her story. I cannot find the one i was thinking of.. but this one explains without saying it directly that they are representing Canada because Max would have taken about 7 years to get US citzienship and she will most likely get Canadian citizenship just in time for 2026.

Do you have a Canadian passport?

Deanna Stellato-Dudek:
No. I know there are some countries that will give you a passport relatively easily if you represent them, but Canada is not one of those countries, nor is the US. In the US, it takes about seven years, and in Canada, about four or five. I don’t have a passport yet, I’m still waiting. We really hope that I’ll have it by December 2025. To qualify for the 2026 Olympics, you need to have your passport by December 25th. I hope to have it much sooner, but we remain hopeful.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't want to speak for 4everChan, but I believe he is referring to the decision as to which country to represent once Deanna and Max teamed up. They have both said they were open to representing either the US or Canada, but that Deanna could obtain Canadian citizenship by the Olympics, whereas they were told by immigration experts that Max surely would not.

Deanna has said that she and Nate split because Nate was not certain when/if he would return from surgery, and Deanna did not have the time to spare. :)
I guess we read the same interview :) thanks !

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
there are a few interviews in which Deanna explains her story. I cannot find the one i was thinking of.. but this one explains without saying it directly that they are representing Canada because Max would have taken about 7 years to get US citzienship and she will most likely get Canadian citizenship just in time for 2026.

You had a link to the interview with Deanna and Max ready to post, I'm impressed(y)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
no need for the history lesson, you know, we are all fans of the sport and we know these things ..
Umm, it's not my aim or intention to do that. I do however have a great respect for the sport's history. :) In general, long-time fans are fairly knowledgeable here. Even then, I don't understand or recall everything. I ask questions of others quite often.

Also, in my posts, I often make connections (which granted could be seen as rambling 😉). C/T aren't directly relevant to I/F's situation, but C/T were also a U.S./ Canadian pair team who had to decide which country to represent. C/T made a good choice at that time to rep the U.S., but they probably should have sought coaching along with training at one of the rinks in the U.S. I mainly mention C/T because I remember them fondly. I was disappointed that they ran into so many problems together.

My main point was that we haven't seen many int'l pairs teams making the U.S. their home training base, outside of a few, with James/ Cipres being the most successful.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
The Irish Championships are about to finish, but I just realised that there were a few changes that I should alert you to.

Firstly, Ladies Singles skaters Saoirse O'Sullivan and Ciera Turner-Frick have switched countries from Great Britain to Ireland.

It has already been discussed extensively, but so that all the switches are in the same post, Ice Dancers Carolane Soucisse / Liam Firus have switched countries from Canada to Ireland.

All of them are staying with their existing coaching setups.

However, Men's Singles skater Dillon Judge (IRL) has switched coaches from Margaret O'Neill in Nottingham (ENG) to Barbara Luoni in Bergamo (ITA).

Source: https://isai.ie/top-irish-figure-skaters-set-to-compete-at-national-championships/

CaroLiza_fan
At least Ciera is competing on an national level in UK and Irland. Internationally she competed already 2 years ago for Irland. I know several skaters that a member of 2 or more feds as long as they compete only on a national level, it is possible.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My recollection is that Castelli/Tran were shafted by USFS (not given the assignments their placements at Nationals should have earned them) because of their situation. I thought it was because they would not be Olympic-eligible for a long time, if ever. However, I now see it may have been because they weren't training in the US. Their training in Canada certainly lessened Mervin's chances of getting US citizenship, which were sketchy anyway.

MaHa75

On the Ice
Daniels KOCKERS from Latvia who took year off from competition last season but trained well in Egna. Did he change his country from Latvia to Lithuania? I saw her insta story where he thanks Lithuania federation but the reason was not mentioned. Does anybody know the reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.