2022-23 Japan National Championship - where to watch | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Japan National Championship - where to watch

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The secret to getting video on TVer is to go to the right part of the screen and click the up arrow till you get to yesterdays programs.(delivery schedule) Then click on "missed Program" highlighted for a yesterday program. Video quality is very good.
a gs 1.jpg

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hello,

I have done the same as you but used express VPN on a 7 day free trial And set it to Japan.

I can get to the same page as you but it’s in Japanese, do you know how you got English?

Also have you tried clicking the link, when I do this it tried to download an app or something which I can’t do in my country apparently.

If you have any ideas of how I can watch this that would be appreciated.

thank you
Google chrome or the website itself provides a "translate from Japanese to English" option in a box in the upper right hand corner. At least it did for me

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hello,

I have done the same as you but used express VPN on a 7 day free trial And set it to Japan.

I can get to the same page as you but it’s in Japanese, do you know how you got English?

Also have you tried clicking the link, when I do this it tried to download an app or something which I can’t do in my country apparently.

If you have any ideas of how I can watch this that would be appreciated.

thank you
Here, if you right click on the page, a dialogue box appears to translate into english, with chrome. It may take a few times. We see I have chosen yesterday and I can click on a missed delivery. Elpis- Hope or Disaster
a gs 3.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
BTW, if you cant get anything to work, and the comps are over, you can try Muji which doesnt need a vpn for $3 for three days. You set up an account, then buy the three days trial using paypal, then enter the code sent to your email. You can continue to buy as many 3 day trials as you need. The big benifet is that you get all channels on demand for two weeks after they play. They have FujiTV (5)and BS Fuji. Channel 22. There is a learning curve on how to chose groups of channels over on the right side of the screen. But if I can do it, anyone can learn. That is how we watched the nats last year.
You can watch an out of date demo here. Note the line of past days which you can move to up to two weeks ago.
a a muji tv.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
BTW, those of us who may loose internet and power during the coming storm/cold artic blast may only have the MujiTV option unless another service archives the skates. Anyone in Japan who wants to use MujiTV will need a VPN to connect to the US. Oh, the irony....

Day 44 with snow on the ground. I have no idea why my internet is working.
a snow day 42.jpg

Thursday Morning wind chill...real air temp will be minus 15 F. Many country people here dont know how to drain their house water pipes if the power goes out to their well pumps. :( If my power goes out, even my high tech wood burning fire place may not be able to keep the house pipes from freezing. Shoveling snow against the side of the house helps.
a record one.jpg

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
A few options to watch Japanese Nationals
Fuji TV Figure Skating Championship info page (includes broadcast information as well as competitor bios)

FOD (Fuji On Demand)
Will be livestreaming the entire competition, including Medalist On Ice (Gala)
FOD National Championships livestream page
Subscription (976 yen per month), vpn needed if viewing outside of Japan
Current promotion with a new subscription~
200 yen for the first month, 976 yen from the second month on, cancel anytime
You can purchase a subscription here (link towards bottom of the page)
Note about the FOD livestream
Unless changes are made, the FOD Nationals stream will likely look different from the other Fuji broadcasts
The events streamed on FOD are usually very basic
What you will probably not get with FOD:
~A variety of camera angles, close ups
~Fancy graphics (Ice Scope, Ice Stats, PPC on-screen)
~Commentary
Benefits of FOD:
~All events streamed on the same page (one link, no need to switch channels between events)
~No commercial or fluff breaks interrupting performances or skaters receiving their scores
~Interviews and other content featuring Japanese skaters, will likely be shown during ice resurfacing

TVer
Free streaming service, vpn needed if viewing outside of Japan
No account needed to access streams, registering gives you more service options
TVer will only be airing last the 2 groups of Singles events
TVer (Fuji stream direct link) Click on the channel icons at top of the page to find an active livestream (one with a "play button") to test your vpn
TVer Women's SP link (Groups 4 & 5)
TVer Men's SP link (Groups 4 & 5)
TVer Women's FS link (Groups 3 & 4)
TVer Men's FS link (Groups 3 & 4)

Himawari (new, upgraded version of iSakura)
Only the Plus subscription will give you both channels needed to watch the entire competition (Fuji TV and Fuji TV Two)
Himwari Plus (98 Channels) includes Fuji TV (CH 5), BS Fuji (BS CH 24) and Fuji TV Two (CH 66)
$4 for 3 day subscription
$8 for 7 day subscription
Note of caution: I purchased a subscription to test the stream quality but having trouble installing the apk on any of my devices (unable to find the suggested downloader apps to help with installation
My active iSakura account could also be preventing me from downloading/accessing the Himawari app
I'll report back after contacting customer service

Kaeri TV
Only Plus subscription (91 Channels) includes both Fuji TV and Fuji TV Two
Currently 19.38 per month but there is a 3 day free trial
I plan to purchase a subscription after I get home from work (took too long trying to set up Himawari...)
I'll report back as soon as I'm able set up this service

For anyone needing a vpn~
I'm trying to find free or low cost vpns that are able to access Japanese streaming sites
Hope to have some options to share soon (suggestions welcomed)
You are a legend, @tsuyoboogie!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Unfortunately, I'm working all week up to Christmas Eve (client sends a job with a Boxing Day deadline, can you believe it?!), so I can't watch most of it live. Will watch on demand and snatches whenever I can. Also, the +4hr time difference makes the evening sessions hard for me - I can barely stay awake past 1am these days. But DYING to see how Yuma does - he's taking part against his father's wishes, because his ankle isn't 100% healed. Interested to see the up-and-coming dance teams, too.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Ahh made it with the TVer - the survey was the "problem" :D
This plus ree proton plus incognito window (cause the regular didn't show the survey) did the trick.

I'm fine that they don't have everything but at least I have this as a backup option now 🤞

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
For free VPNs with Japanese access, I would recommend ProtonVPN, which is free with an accout, has access to Japanese servers, and unlimited usage. It is also very safe, and an actual legitimate VPN. I don't know if it will get past the geoblocks, but I will test and see. Also, thank you @tsuyoboogie, you are such a lifesaver! This is the most comprehensive list of legal ways to watch that I have seen, and you even found free options!

UPDATE: I think Proton works with TVer and FOD? I didn't get any error messages when I tried it. If you want another good, free option, Windscribe VPN has a 10GB usage limit but is better at getting around geoblocks and is free. 10GB might be enough to get through the singles, or you might need to create two accounts.

Also, live QQ man is here. Will he save us all yet again? Only time will tell.
Thank you so much for the vpn suggestions!

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I updated post #14 with more feedback on Himawari and KaeriTV

A few links to Fuji TV Sports official YouTube streams (vpn needed outside of Japan)

Wednesday 12.21
Opening Ceremony and SP/RD draws (7:30pm JST)

The following livestreams are meant to supplement the competition broadcasts

Links for Thursday, 12.22 (Competition Day 1)
Ice Dance RD & Women's SP Rinkside 360 (2:30pm JST)
Kiss & Cry (2:45pm JST)

#ConnectWithSkaters (2:45pm JST)
Fans can tweet messages of support for competitors using the hashtag #スケーターとつながろう
(They ask that tweets be limited to 45 characters or less)
The tweets will appear on a monitor setup for skaters to view after they finish their performances
This stream will show the skaters viewing and reacting to the messages

You are a legend, @tsuyoboogie!
🥰

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, I'm working all week up to Christmas Eve (client sends a job with a Boxing Day deadline, can you believe it?!), so I can't watch most of it live. Will watch on demand and snatches whenever I can. Also, the +4hr time difference makes the evening sessions hard for me - I can barely stay awake past 1am these days. But DYING to see how Yuma does - he's taking part against his father's wishes, because his ankle isn't 100% healed. Interested to see the up-and-coming dance teams, too.
Thank you for the info. If I were a parent of a skater, it would be very hard if I had an adult skating child and they were skating injured, especially if the doc said more permanent damage might occur. If the child were under age and under my control, there is no way I would let them skate if the chances were great of a greater, more serious injury. Risk vs reward.
Chris with a permanent back injury

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hummmm....these times are not what I get with my time zone changer web site....must recalculate......OK, the first group of women hit the ice at 11:22 pm tonight which is Wed here.....
schedule times.jpg

hop456

Rinkside
I updated post #14 with more feedback on Himawari and KaeriTV

A few links to Fuji TV Sports official YouTube streams (vpn needed outside of Japan)

Wednesday 12.21
Opening Ceremony and SP/RD draws (7:30pm JST)

The following livestreams are meant to supplement the competition broadcasts

Links for Thursday, 12.22 (Competition Day 1)
Ice Dance RD & Women's SP Rinkside 360 (2:30pm JST)
Kiss & Cry (2:45pm JST)

#ConnectWithSkaters (2:45pm JST)
Fans can tweet messages of support for competitors using the hashtag #スケーターとつながろう
(They ask that tweets be limited to 45 characters or less)
The tweets will appear on a monitor setup for skaters to view after they finish their performances
This stream will show the skaters viewing and reacting to the messages

🥰
Thank you for the link, do you know if the YouTube video will just show A link to Fuji tv or will it be th actual women’s short program live on YouTube?

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Thank you for the link, do you know if the YouTube video will just show A link to Fuji tv or will it be th actual women’s short program live on YouTube?
The Youtube video is the wamup area before skates and some other fluff content if it's like last year

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Thank you for the info. If I were a parent of a skater, it would be very hard if I had an adult skating child and they were skating injured, especially if the doc said more permanent damage might occur. If the child were under age and under my control, there is no way I would let them skate if the chances were great of a greater, more serious injury. Risk vs reward.
Chris with a permanent back injury
Technically Yuma is still under age in Japan (he is 19; in Japan you are legally an adult at 20). His dad said in an interview that he is adamant about competing at Nationals. You know his dad is his coach. It's been a hard year for them both. I've really missed his skating, but much rather he healed properly before returning to competition.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you for your quick reply. That’s a shame, I was hoping that it was the link to the real thing. I’ve tried a lot of avenues now and it looks like I’m not going to find a way to watch it :(
TVer or MujiTV didnt work for you?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Technically Yuma is still under age in Japan (he is 19; in Japan you are legally an adult at 20). His dad said in an interview that he is adamant about competing at Nationals. You know his dad is his coach. It's been a hard year for them both. I've really missed his skating, but much rather he healed properly before returning to competition.
Exactly. I really liked his music choice for Olys 22...I feel for his family and Team Rika too. Skating can be a cruel sport.. :confused: