2022 Winter Olympics: Rhythm Dance | Page 61 | Golden Skate

2022 Winter Olympics: Rhythm Dance

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Oof, I just finished watching the terrible echo-ey stream (and with lovely Belinda and Ollie, yes).
As much as I'm a fan of G/P (although echoey Elton John sounded awfully distracting, so there was that, too), for me H/D were the ones who absolutely killed it. Hands down my favourite program in the event, just so much energy, precision, and I'm living for Madison's outfit :love2:
And I loved Mueller/Dieck's program, they were fun. And omg that purple skirt of Katharina's, I just want it so bad :LOL: Haha, it's probable that what I lack in understanding ice dance, I make up with picking my favourites by their costumes.
Also, T/T! To me, they looked super synchronized and controlled among their group, also, the headband!

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I’m so glad Kana and Dai used Japanese music for their RD. More teams need to be original like that.
Oh, I love their RD SO MUCH, and using Japanese music is so great, and interesting, and yeah, they also remind us there are streets (for dancing in them) in all the cities of the world. If I'm being honest, I'm bitter they didn't get to go to Olympics, they're so good, I want to see as much of their skating as possible.

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Forgive Olly (the man), he's new to commentating on figure skating (he usually does gymnastics and is very knowledgeable about it) and he does a much better job with names than others. The woman is Belinda Noonan, I believe
Oh, I didn't even realize he was not originally a figure skating commentator, so good job for him! That explains his slight overuse of puns and jokes about skaters' programs i.e. "bukins' back alright" - and there was something hilarious about some skater being from the area with developed metal industry, so he must have had nerves of steel or something like that :D
Belinda is out of this world, so great, so informative, especially in the ice dance, I'm hearing her commentary for the first time, but I hope she gets to do more international events in the future. Gold commentating medal for Belinda!

Last edited:

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
french CBC commentator : i like the street dance team... the analyst : well... it's okay but it's quite abstract... it is nice when programs tell a story (talking in general, not about a specific team)...

i guess that's sort of true... but i'd say that i don't care if a cha cha or a tango doesn't tell a story... i get the dance... the street dance is indeed very abstract unless someone manages a disco or a hip hop properly... which is not happening that often... oh well... we are almost through this season of awful RD theme...
Oh, I especially love RD because it's _the dance_ first and foremost. I don't get a story behind the routine most of the times anyway, so I'm more than happy to watch two dozens of tango or blues. So yeah, I'm very team abstract and team 'dance not a story'

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Whenever I see a gigantic Canadian flag I assume Keegan is on the other end and I'm usually correct!🇨🇦
LOL even his costume in the free but isnt he really American. And whenever I see him I think oh here it comes a picture of Wyatt. he is the opposite of Tom Daley who shelters his son from the media. The judging seems reaasonable. I appreciate we have different opinions. I would have had Piper and Paul higher a bit in score. I think the Aamericans look good to possibly get two medals. The comment about Nikitas glass back concerns me. Forget twizzles. The health / injury is a mystery.

Last edited:

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Haha, I love Johnny very much, but I never heard his commentary. And from what I read about it on this forum, it should absolutely stay that way :D
I like Johnny as a skater and a TV personality, and I remember everyone liked him and Tara when they were the B Team commentators on NBC's secondary channel- they were knowledgeable and restrained compared to Scott and Terry on the primetime feed. But I think once they became the primetime commentators NBC coached them to become more chatty and inane to pander to the (majority) non-skating fan audience.

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Generally it is. Esp Bates/Chock. Honestly all the attention is on Madison. Do you ever look at the guy? Even if you do once in a while, he is just looking at the ice.
omg YES I realized this today! As C/B were skating, I accidentally looked at the guy, and was like - who's that? an unfamiliar face!

auser

Record Breaker
I like Johnny as a skater and a TV personality, and I remember everyone liked him and Tara when they were the B Team commentators on NBC's secondary channel- they were knowledgeable and restrained compared to Scott and Terry on the primetime feed. But I think once they became the primetime commentators NBC coached them to become more chatty and inane to pander to the (majority) non-skating fan audience.
I admired Johnny as a figure skater and his single skating commentary can be insightful. But during the time leading up to Johnny and Tara becoming the edgy, new thing commentators, I recall Johnny remarking something about how he considered ice dance boring and did not care to watch it. I don't have video or audio to confirm this. But as an ice dance fan, I have difficulty appreciating his ice dance analysis here. I was happier when it was just Tanith White and Terry Gannon commentating during NBC ice dance events.

Last edited:

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I'm definitely biased because I love P/C and never understood the S/K hype, but for me the Russian's music choice for this dance should be a -1 by default. Why, why would you think "You can leave your hat on" is a proper choice for an Olympic moment?
YES! And I just noticed this time, does K's start pose mean that he's ogling S's breasts? Did someone decide that was sassy/amusing/campy - I don't know what? I am usually almost blind to _meanings_ of the dance moves and poses, but I suddenly wish I was completely blind to this hilarity :D

Cilla70

On the Ice
There’s no way HD are that close to SK.. the speed, the attack, the attitude is simply not the same. They are a good pair but both American pairs look so slow in comparison with SK and PC. I have had a soft spot for PP for a while and I would also have Italians higher than Americans. HD and CB were at their best the previous Olympic cycle. I don’t know why it happened but HD definitely deserved that bronze in 2018. Technically they’re not bad, but back in 2018 they were on fire, hungry for the podium.
Intersting how some pairs peak at Team events and others at individuals.
My dream podium is PC (redemption for 2018 but VM won fair and square), SK (I think NOW they’re very close to PC but it would be unfair not to give a gold medal to PC since they’re unique), HD (redemption for 2018 and the fact that they’ve always been very consistent and do not stick to the same programs that highlight their strengths, they are not afraid to experiment unlike SK and PC who choose a safe path).
How can you say P/C does not experiment. Their Fame RD, Find Me FD and this years RD are a diverse selection whether we liked them or not. I agree that S/K are the same style.
I think a lot of people don’t appreciate H/D because they are not the typical cutesy woman, manly man in charge team. They both have power, speed and skill, an equal partnership.

Last edited:

Cilla70

On the Ice
As Tara and Johnny are both former Olympians, I always hope they can find a way to make every athlete that takes the ice feel good about themselves no matter what the score might be. This event is HUGE for anyone who manages to make it this far and they should be praised for lacing up their skates and getting out there on the ice in front of the Entire World.
Well said.