2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Marjorie Lajoie organized a charity skating show

The second tweet has a link to an article, but it doesn't have much info on the show. It's mostly a link to French audio.

I ran the video of the skaters at half speed, and was able to recognize many, but not all, of the skaters. Most were ice dancers from IAM, but Kelly-Ann and Lucas and Anthony also performed.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I ran the video of the skaters at half speed, and was able to recognize many, but not all, of the skaters. Most were ice dancers from IAM, but Kelly-Ann and Lucas and Anthony also performed.
From the full line-up here:
  • Marjorie Lajoie et Zachary Lagha
    Olympiens, champions du monde junior 2019 et 5e aux championnats du monde 2024
  • Madison Chock et Evan Bates
    Médaillés d’or olympiques et deux fois champions du monde 2023-2024
  • Madeline Schizas
    Olympienne et double championne canadienne 2022-2023
  • Hannah Lim et Ye Quan
    Champions de la Corée du Sud 2024 et vice-champions du monde junior 2023
  • Martina Ariano Kent et Charlie Laliberté-Laurent
    Médaillés internationaux et vice-champions canadiens juniors 2024
  • Holly Harris et Jason Chan
    Compétiteurs internationaux et champions d’Australie
  • Anthony Paradis
    Compétiteur international et médaillé de bronze sénior 2024
  • Émy Bronsard
    Médaillée internationale en solo ice dance
  • Émile Couture
    Patineur professionnel en tournée à travers le monde
  • Émy Carignan et Bryan Pierro
    Compétiteurs canadiens en paire. Émy est la cousine de Marjorie et Charles-Étienne.
  • Sara Kishimoto et Atsuhiko Tamura
    Patineurs internationaux et champions juniors du Japon 2024
  • Sandrine Gauthier et Quentin Thieren
    Compétiteurs internationaux
  • Sara-Maude Dupuis
    Compétitrice internationale
  • Kelly Ann Laurin et Loucas Ethier
    Médaillés internationaux et 3e au championnat Canadien 2024

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I assume you didn't know about it in advance, so didn't go. Too bad.
She does it every year I think. You know me, not really into show skating. Also, I have been stranded for a while with COVID. Not sure I would have gone to a rink...

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Robert Brodie interview with Wesley Chiu:

Already, that work has begun in earnest. His choreographer, Joey Russell, has already crafted a new short program for him. While Chiu isn’t ready yet to divulge all of the details about it, he does reveal this: “It’ll be different than what I skated to in the past. I haven’t done this style of music since I was really little; I think it’ll be really cool to have a more mature take on it.”

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I am pretty sure she retired a while back.
Yes, she retired a couple of years ago. She did the Vancouver skate Canada but was poor and was outperformed by the other Canadians. She did a couple of other events and nationals, where other skaters had overtaken her, and then retired that summer. It was the same year as Emily Bausback retired.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Regarding Joy Weinberg, the name seemed vaguely familiar. She was partnered for two seasons with Max Fernandez (one in juniors and one in seniors):

Max looks so young (which he was, of course). Joy has nice movement and musicality. There was an error in this fp on one of the throws, and she seems to fall backward on her jump landings with an odd angle to her free leg. This is from 2016 U.S. Nationals, visible on the rinkside boards (though the year is not listed in the title). Joy & Max won junior pairs.

On IcePartner Search, Joy indicates that she and Max were in a serious car accident prior to 2017 U.S. Nationals, where they competed in seniors, placing 9 of 12. The injuries Joy suffered in the car accident were apparently part of her reason for stepping away to focus on her education. Her absence from the sport is about 7 years. Deanna left the sport due to a hip injury. She was absent for 17 years.

Joy & Max 2016 U.S. Nationals sp:

Regarding Joy's release, I'm not sure of the rules. Maybe they must wait at least one year. However, since Joy hasn't competed for the U.S. in 7 years, I doubt they would have a strong hold on her.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They would have absolutely no hold on her, that would be my call ;) but can she land her jumps ? I guess she is indeed inspired by Deanna in some ways. I think they are both from Chicago aren't they ?