IOC/OAR/ROC Info | Page 16 | Golden Skate

IOC/OAR/ROC Info

lappo

Final Flight
As far as i understand meldonium used quite widely in Russia, almost like vitamins for heart or something like that. I even have a friend who takes it. So it's not like a person should have some special condition to take it.

Thanks for replying. I'm not a doctor so I'm truly in no position to have an opinion on this topic.

madison

Record Breaker
Maybe it was an accident and he took it by mistake as it was a singular dose....

Last edited by a moderator:

russianfan

Match Penalty
Maybe it was an accident and he took it by mistake as it was a singular dose....

There was an interview with them where he said they don't even carry any drugs with themselves, so it's totally impossible. They have doctors with them who are responsible for drugs, etc, and they haven't even brought any meldonium to Korea.

Here's the link

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just saw on the news that he and his wife have been stripped of their medals.

This is so bizarre though! Is there any more information about when they think he took the meldonium and where he got it?

What does his wife think of all this? Is she supporting him?

Eclair

Medalist
why is this thread suddenly a normal thread? Before, it was displayed on top of all threads like the rules of the forum...

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
I don't get it. Krushelnitsky and his wife are being stripped of their medals, because he was found to have taken a one-time dose of a forbidden drug which does absolutely NOTHING, let alone in curling which is not an athletic sport at all and slow as hell???

Logic really has no place in this world, has it?

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
I don't get it. Krushelnitsky and his wife are being stripped of their medals, because he was found to have taken a one-time dose of a forbidden drug which does absolutely NOTHING, let alone in curling which is not an athletic sport at all and slow as hell???

Logic really has no place in this world, has it?

Right, but at the same time a drug is a drug. Figure skaters have been caught with cough syrup and been reprimanded. Ross rebagliadi the first Olympic snowboarding gold medalist had his medal briefly taken away for pot, he got it back as it wasn’t a banned substance

gmyers

Record Breaker
I’m very concerned about all the Russians! This is not state sponsored even now right?! That’d be so crazy!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
why is this thread suddenly a normal thread? Before, it was displayed on top of all threads like the rules of the forum...

Nothing has changed regarding the location of this thread? Other than to be placed in General Info under the Olympics when we created all the subforums.

Ziotic

Medalist
How many of the people that were not invited were gold medal contenders? I haven’t found much written in English on the subject.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Another doping. On another note: doping isn't always successful because... 12th place. But the fact that OAR's only gold medal comes from a 15 year old skater who is clean should be enough proof that you REALLY don't need it... And they're ruining it for Alina and Evgenia, who should get to carry their flags in the closing ceremony; it's their moment. But with all these cases I'm not sure they'll get to do that

Lake

Spectator
Evgenia Medvedeva pleaded at today's IOC Executive Board meeting on behalf of Russia.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/arti...osing-ceremony-postponed#.WpFLhPfenCM.twitter

A meeting on whether Russia will be allowed to take part in the Closing Ceremony of the Winter Olympic Games here tomorrow broke up tonight without a decision.

There was also a presentation from Stanislav Pozdnyakov, head of the OAR delegation, and figure skating silver medalist Evgenia Medvedeva.

They pleaded with the IOC Executive Board to lift the ban on the Russian Olympic Committee imposed in December after the country was found guilty of the "systematic manipulation" of doping samples at Sochi 2014.

"We spent about 10 minutes at this session," said Pozdnyakov afterwards.

"Evegenia and I were given a chance to speak and tell the Executive Board members about what we had achieved.

"Most importantly, we firmly believe we have fully complied with the terms and conditions.

"We feel we made a sufficient case to the Executive Board.

"President Bach greeted us warmly and started his speech by congratulating Evgenia.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Wouldn't it be more convincing if Alina were there? I mean....she's the first athlete from OAR that earned a gold medal.....

Naya

On the Ice
One won a medal (in mixed doubles curling) and one bobsledder wore a sweatshirt earlier that said "I don't do doping".

It's a shame that these athletes tarnish the efforts of clean athletes.... but are we honestly surprised?

It's gotten to a point where it wouldn't be an Olympics if a Russian weren't stripped of a medal or athletes were found to be doping.

This article rises conspiracy theory https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/22/russian-curler-alexander-krushelnitsky-stripped-of-winter-olympics-medal-after-admitting-doping

The most interesting parts:

"Krushelnitsky had initially protested his innocence after testing positive for the banned heart drug meldonium, claiming his drink had been spiked. However on Thursday he dropped his appeal before he was officially banned by the court of arbitration for sport.

Meanwhile, the well-connected Russian journalist Dmitry Zhelanov, who first revealed that Krushelnitsky had failed a drugs test, suggested that deeper political currents were at play with International Olympic Committee. “Two years instead of a four-year ban for and the return of the flag – all this it seems to be part of the deal with the IOC,” he tweeted.

That echoes the thoughts of many in Pyeongchang after what has seemed like a series of coordinated steps over the past 36 hours to pave the way for Russia to return to the sporting fold.

Meanwhile, Krushelnitsky’s case will now pass to the World Curling Federation, who must decide what further disciplinary action to take. Under the World Anti-Doping Code, he can be banned up to four years. If, however, he can prove he was the victim of sabotage then Krushelnitsky could escape further punishment.

The OAR coach Sergey Belanov certainly believe Krushelnitsky was framed, saying: “It’s just stupid to use a single dose of meldonium It does not work that way, the drug needs a course to restore the heart muscle.”

I'm not an adept of conspiracy theories, but the curler's case was so absurd that I wouldn't be surprise if this story is true. If Russia get back the right of carry the flag in the closing ceremony and this curler proves innocence later, things will get even more "interesting".

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So wait is that journalist suggesting there's some sort sabotage from the Russian government itself? I was actually thinking about that the other day...like did the Russian Government do this to "prove" that even without state invention Russian athletes still cheat (in which case they're just like any other country that has doping athletes and don't deserve to be singled out)? Sounds too bizarre to be true! How would they even do it?!

The case of the Curler is still very strange though...