Peacock admits mistakes.... | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Peacock admits mistakes....

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Makes one wonder is a Nats event isnt covered by whatever this law the lawyers dreamed up to make money for themselves and their clients?
And even if Worlds Happens, which is doubtful, can we see it streamed or just watch J and T show?
Chris who admits to recording radio songs on a cassette deck
Let me start out by saying that I hardly know what I am talking about :shrug:. After reading posts here and on another board I think that this band The Heavy Young Heathens was not covered by the agreement that U. S. Nationals has and that the ISU has. This same group successfully sued the German pairs team Hase/Seegert for using the same music as Knierim/Frazier. There may be other musicians that are not covered under the current agreement used by USFS and the ISU. I would imagine musicians and attorneys were eagerly examining other competitions to see if their music had been used without permission or compensation.

Back in the dark ages of cassette tapes and radios we generally only saw parts of U. S. Nationals broadcast on ABC with Dick Button and Peggy Fleming. Now U. S. Nationals and many other competitions are streamed via Peacock to the fans in the U. S. and are replayed probably thousands of times. Also, before Peacock there was IceNetwork streaming and NBC Gold streaming, but they were not IMO so highly publicized. We fans knew about those earlier versions but we had to go out of our way to find them and sign up. Now we have Peacock which is advertised all over and provided free by some cable companies - Xfinity and Comcast. Are the musicians (even the ones on those agreements) being
compensated for all those replays?? I think this is a whole new world.

As I 3lutz off my soap box I am still hoping that Worlds will happen and be streamed and be available for replays. I don't think the competitions will be up for replay for an extended period like they have been. If the Tara/Johnny dog and pony show is the only thing available I will probably watch with sound muted.

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Let me start out by saying that I hardly know what I am talking about :shrug:. After reading posts here and on another board I think that this band The Heavy Young Heathens was not covered by the agreement that U. S. Nationals has and that the ISU has. This same group successfully sued the German pairs team Hase/Seegert for using the same music as Knierim/Frazier. There may be other musicians that are not covered under the current agreement used by USFS and the ISU. I would imagine musicians and attorneys were eagerly examining other competitions to see if their music had been used without permission or compensation.
Whoa. You just reminded me of something. el henry posted a link differentiating the type of licenses one needs to play music. Well, the reason it wasn't that expensive is because skating was deemed a live event. Now the crap hits the fan after the live event is concluded, when it becomes a video, repeatedly viewed - distributed by Comcast/Peacock for us to see at a later time. That requires a different license as it has changed to a different delivery type to the public. I see this getting uglier for all the big players involved. $$$$

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm really frustrated because I would love to watch Anna's two-quad free program again.
I thought maybe the fp had been posted on Youtube by NBC, but I checked, and no cigar! There's only that sbs video of Trusova's and Scherbakova's fps, for some weird reason!!! Who needs to see these performances in a sbs video!!!??? DUH! :palmf:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Back in the dark ages of cassette tapes and radios we generally only saw parts of U. S. Nationals broadcast on ABC with Dick Button and Peggy Fleming. Now U. S. Nationals and many other competitions are streamed via Peacock to the fans in the U. S. and are replayed probably thousands of times. Also, before Peacock there was IceNetwork streaming and NBC Gold streaming, but they were not IMO so highly publicized. We fans knew about those earlier versions but we had to go out of our way to find them and sign up. Now we have Peacock which is advertised all over and provided free by some cable companies - Xfinity and Comcast. Are the musicians (even the ones on those agreements) being
compensated for all those replays?? I think this is a whole new world.

As I 3lutz off my soap box I am still hoping that Worlds will happen and be streamed and be available for replays. I don't think the competitions will be up for replay for an extended period like they have been. If the Tara/Johnny dog and pony show is the only thing available I will probably watch with sound muted.
Thank you @MFarone for weighing in.

Meanwhile, Kaphooey!!! :mad: 🔥 :bang:

These artists need to recognize that use of their music by figure skaters is great advertising. When Nathan used Benjamin Clementine's Nemesis, it brought this artist's music to the attention of the skating community globally, which surely was great for Clementine, in giving him much more worldwide exposure. After discovering Clementine through Nathan, I began listening to more of his music. Surely sales of his music increased as a direct result. Plus, additional tracks from Clementine's work have also been used by figure skaters. There are so many examples of this wonderful exposure of musicians' work to skating audiences. Why is this usage seen as such a bad thing? AFAIK it was more than just Hase/Seegert and K/F who used the same version of House of the Rising Sun.

This whole process of obtaining music rights for use during figure skating seasons has to be rethought and recalibrated! We need better overall leadership in this sport to think about such legal issues related to changing times and to the myriad needs of figure skating athletes. A big part of the problem is the sport's lack of leadership expertise across-the-board. There need to be heavy duty p.r. experts, legal experts, technology experts, composers, choreographers, psychologists, sports medicine practitioners, equipment designers, etc., either consulted with or contracted with to bring this f'ing sport into the 21st century.

In the meantime, ONLY USE MUSIC IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN!!!!!!!!!!

And another beef I have: Please repair the sport!!!!!!! Allow the free programs to be free!!!! Will someone in the skating community, wake up and be brave, and be bold enough to advocate for serious change, for a freakin' change already!!!!!! Ranting I know, and my rant ain't over....

This music rights shizz, plus the pandemic shizz, and the doping shizz, etc., are enough to cause a whole slew of post-Olympics retirements!!! FFS!

Can all the hate and greed in the world please stop taking the joy out of everything! 🙏

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
They should be sued— they did not deliver what they promised to customers.
Actually, a class action law suit from all of us and everyone else who was not provided a contracted service, as well as a lawsuit for my personal mental anguish over not being able to watch my skating...maybe I sue that stupid music group? They deserve it! Its one thing to say, Hey, you didnt pay us the normal fee for a skater using a tune at the olympics....its another thing to get greedy and ask for all the money they want plus their lawyers fees. This cant be rocket science. If a skater choses music, somehow someone must be contracted for its usage?????????

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm really frustrated because I would love to watch Anna's two-quad free program again.

Check the Olympics Youtube Channel, both Shcherbakova's SP & FS are available as well as the full gala, ladies SP and FS:
Olympics Channel Beijing Replay Playlist -- This is for all sports/events, but if you do some digging they have replays for most of the figure skating disciplines across the individual and team event just click ctrl+F on your keyboard and do a search for figure skating. Most of the time a few comments down on the replays someone has been kind enough to hyperlink timestamps for each figure skater.

Since you mentioned specifically Shcherbakova:
Shcherbakova's SP
Shcherbakova's FS

**I'm in the US (in case this is geo-blocked outside of the US)

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Check the Olympics Youtube Channel, both Shcherbakova's SP & FS are available as well as the full gala, ladies SP and FS:
Olympics Channel Beijing Replay Playlist -- This is for all sports/events, but if you do some digging they have replays for most of the figure skating disciplines across the individual and team event just click ctrl+F on your keyboard and do a search for figure skating. Most of the time a few comments down on the replays someone has been kind enough to hyperlink timestamps for each figure skater.

Shcherbakova's SP
Shcherbakova's FS

Yeah, I'm super happy because up until yesterday they were geoblocked in the US.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you @MFarone for weighing in.

Meanwhile, Kaphooey!!! :mad: 🔥 :bang:

These artists need to recognize that use of their music by figure skaters is great advertising. When Nathan used Benjamin Clementine's Nemesis, it brought this artist's music to the attention of the skating community globally, which surely was great for Clementine, in giving him much more worldwide exposure.
Agreed. In fact, there used to be something called Payola where a DJ was paid to play an artist's music for exposure so People would buy the records. Sarah Brightman would put out specials on PBS and her DVDs set sales records. All this is about in this case is a group trying to use lawyers and lawsuits to make money. Just like The three Wright Brothers and their sister worked hard on coming up with a nonsensical way of steering an aircraft and tried to sue everyone in the US and Europe who made a real aircraft. They set back American Aviation 10 years. but thanks to people like Henry Ford and Alexander Graham Bell and Glen Curtis, they lost and crawled back into their holes.....Which is where this group of "musicians" should be.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Agreed. In fact, there used to be something called Payola where a DJ was paid to play an artist's music for exposure so People would buy the records. Sarah Brightman would put out specials on PBS and her DVDs set sales records. All this is about in this case is a group trying to use lawyers and lawsuits to make money. Just like The three Wright Brothers and their sister worked hard on coming up with a nonsensical way of steering an aircraft and tried to sue everyone in the US and Europe who made a real aircraft. They set back American Aviation 10 years. but thanks to people like Henry Ford and Alexander Graham Bell and Glen Curtis, they lost and crawled back into their holes.....Which is where this group of "musicians" should be.
Wow, I didn't know that about the Wright Brothers. They created the first part of the invention, but they didn't know how to make an aircraft, and resented people who could. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. There's always something new to learn!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wow, I didn't know that about the Wright Brothers. They created the first part of the invention, but they didn't know how to make an aircraft, and resented people who could. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. There's always something new to learn!
There is a wonderful book called "Unlocking the Sky" about how Glenn Curtiss gave away all his many patents to advance aviation around the world. Where as the Wrights just wanted money.
Fun fact. When Henry Ford was sued for making automobiles, he had to face the same patent judge that Glenn Curtiss had to later when the Wright family went after him. Ford told Curtiss that his entire legal staff was at Curtis's disposal. Thankfully, Curtiss prevailed and a judge forced the Wrights to Merge with Curtiss, The results were that we had many fine aircraft and engines going into the 1940s.

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Shcherbakova's SP
Shcherbakova's FS

Everything here is still geo-blocked in the US. The tiles show up, but content won't play. I have not been able to find ANY country to connect my Nord VPN with that actually lets me play content on this YouTube Olympics channel. For me, it's a totally useless channel. I'll have to be content with looking for content elsewhere--anywhere that's not on THIS particular channel.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Everything here is still geo-blocked in the US. The tiles show up, but content won't play. I have not been able to find ANY country to connect my Nord VPN with that actually lets me play content on this YouTube Olympics channel. For me, it's a totally useless channel. I'll have to be content with looking for content elsewhere--anywhere that's not on THIS particular channel.
I’m on Proton VPN, but I can get it to connect from; Nigeria, Turkey, Spain and Argentina (so far).
Though, I can get it in the US.

EDIT: I think I figured out the problem. If you are in the US with a VPN on, it will not work. You must turn the VPN off, or connect to one of the countries I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

Hmm, that's interesting I'm in the US and can see everything (well everything I've clicked on)

Allikat

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’m on Proton VPN, but I can get it to connect from; Nigeria, Turkey, Spain and Argentina (so far).
Though, I can get it in the US.

EDIT: I think I figured out the problem. If you are in the US with a VPN on, it will not work. You must turn the VPN off, or connect to one of the countries I mentioned above.
Hey--thank you for this bit of info! It's true that I never did attempt to play any video in the YouTube Olympics channel with my VPN turned off, but there's a reason for that. Turning the thing 'off' and then attempting to turn it back 'on' when I need it later has always brought me to grief--and long chat convos with a Nord agent, to get my messed-up VPN account sorted and working again. I decided it's just not worth the hassle. I did get to view everything using the Canadian online site; also I unsubscribed to the Olympics YT channel. I never did try any of the four countries you suggested, though. It's far more important for me to always be able to use my paid VPN connection than it is to view any YT channel; it's my 'security device'. It's good to finally have a reason for my problem. The 'why' of it will just have to remain one of life's little mysteries, I think.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey--thank you for this bit of info! It's true that I never did attempt to play any video in the YouTube Olympics channel with my VPN turned off, but there's a reason for that. Turning the thing 'off' and then attempting to turn it back 'on' when I need it later has always brought me to grief--and long chat convos with a Nord agent, to get my messed-up VPN account sorted and working again. I decided it's just not worth the hassle. I did get to view everything using the Canadian online site; also I unsubscribed to the Olympics YT channel. I never did try any of the four countries you suggested, though. It's far more important for me to always be able to use my paid VPN connection than it is to view any YT channel; it's my 'security device'. It's good to finally have a reason for my problem. The 'why' of it will just have to remain one of life's little mysteries, I think.
I have updated my video lists to reflect these links from USA without vpn since my old links were all blocked for Olympics. You can now view world feed of entire events - follow directions in above post.

Let me know if you find broken links.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Wow! One would think after one successful lawsuit another team would not use the same music!