Ross Miner suspended for 6 months by SafeSport for sexual harassment | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ross Miner suspended for 6 months by SafeSport for sexual harassment

mrrice

Record Breaker
It would be great if the first thing people do when these stories break isn't to hope to find any loophole to try to absolve the disgusting racist!!!!
I agree. Things like this should be investigated and dealt with immediately. If true, Ross's involvement in skating should be over from this point forward. It's sad because I really liked him as a skater but, these racist comments from a 30 year old man are more than I can tolerate. He is now a blemish on the skating community and he needs to go.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The post I was quoting literally says "I sort of wonder if someone else got ahold of his account." There are screen shots, he was investigated and found guilty and was suspended yet half the posts in this thread are still wondering if maybe he didn't do it. It was the same thing in the Morgan Cipres thread and in other similar threads. Some people will never have enough proof. It's disgusting.

And the comments about how a 12-year-old talks like this are wrong too. I don't know about you but I wasn't sending racist slurs to anyone when I was 12. Children model their behavior after adults. Don't dismiss what he did as something childish or something you can grow out of. He's a racist, no matter the age.
The issue is that the screenshots, disgusting as they are, have not been verified. They were posted on Twitter and are from an “anonymous” source with “knowledge” of the situation. Most people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that because he was suspended by SafeSport for sexual harassment, he actually wrote these things and they’re the reason he was suspended. While that may be true, we don’t know for sure. There is some possibility, however small, that they were doctored. If you have first hand knowledge that they weren’t, perhaps you can share that.

macy

Record Breaker
The post I was quoting literally says "I sort of wonder if someone else got ahold of his account." There are screen shots, he was investigated and found guilty and was suspended yet half the posts in this thread are still wondering if maybe he didn't do it. It was the same thing in the Morgan Cipres thread and in other similar threads. Some people will never have enough proof. It's disgusting.

And the comments about how a 12-year-old talks like this are wrong too. I don't know about you but I wasn't sending racist slurs to anyone when I was 12. Children model their behavior after adults. Don't dismiss what he did as something childish or something you can grow out of. He's a racist, no matter the age.
Actually, no where in the article does it say the investigation was completed, just that he was suspended. I don't mean that snarkily or argumentative in any way, if you or someone who is more familiar with the Safesport process could clarify where a suspension comes in (after allegations or after the investigation is completed) I'd appreciate it. I don't know enough about it and am confused about where in the process this article was written.

but i will say, the comment i made about how preteens talk online nowadays is 10000% true. I have a 12 year old step son who plays xbox live, and his friends behave like this literally all the time. Being there are so many easily accessible online, discreet outlets where their parents won't always catch them, it's a lot easier to get away with today than it was even 10 years ago. smartphones and online gaming have changed everything.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
The issue is that the screenshots, disgusting as they are, have not been verified. They were posted on Twitter and are from an “anonymous” source with “knowledge” of the situation. Most people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that because he was suspended by SafeSport for sexual harassment, he actually wrote these things and they’re the reason he was suspended. While that may be true, we don’t know for sure. There is some possibility, however small, that they were doctored. If you have first hand knowledge that they weren’t, perhaps you can share that.
Wondering if someone got a hold of his account is not questioning the validity of the screenshots, but believing the screenshots are real but questioning whether he actually sent the messages in them.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

And the comments about how a 12-year-old talks like this are wrong too. I don't know about you but I wasn't sending racist slurs to anyone when I was 12. Children model their behavior after adults and 12-year-olds know racist slurs are not ok. Don't dismiss what he did as something childish or something everyone does when they're young or something you can grow out of. He's a racist, no matter the age.
It is not unbelievable that someone could have taken over Ross' account or doctored the screen shots. ETA: Unfortunately we have examples of that every day. We have examples of persons doctoring messages on Twitter every day. It happens.

It is not unbelievable that someone knows 12 year olds send such messages to each other.

These messages are disgusting and if Ross sent them, he will never work in skating again, nor should he. But raising questions *in no way* says that a poster is a racist, is excusing Ross or is condoning this behavior.

A very sad business all around.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
And the comments about how a 12-year-old talks like this are wrong too. I don't know about you but I wasn't sending racist slurs to anyone when I was 12. Children model their behavior after adults and 12-year-olds know racist slurs are not ok. Don't dismiss what he did as something childish or something everyone does when they're young or something you can grow out of. He's a racist, no matter the age.
Let’s just say I’m younger then most people on this forum. Not 12, but still.

Most 12 year olds I know aren’t sending stuff like that to people. Yes, they talk nonsense and probably have said something offensive, but they aren’t sending racist slurs to random people. There is a massive difference. And also Ross is not 12 years old!!! He is an adult. He knows what the words mean. And also, it’s his account. He is responsible for activity on his account. If he lets someone use his account that‘s on him. And if his account was truly hacked, there are ways to get it back (contact Snapchat, etc) If that was actually the case, he should have done that immediately.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, I think they are real. :( From what I understand, Naa has a clinical background and works with rape victims, incl. FS rape survivors.

I know this is what the poster says about herself. But since it is an anonymous account on Twitter, we do not know. I do not mean to be disrespectful, but I could say I was Michelle Kwan. I'm not, but I could say it:biggrin:

And that does not mean that someone could not have *supplied* doctored messages either.

Again, I am not saying that the messages aren't real. And God knows, they are disturbing. But it's an unfortunate result of my background, where cases were tried in the press or social media (we didn't that have that as much in my day) which sometimes bore little resemblance to the actual occurrence. And sometimes bore a lot. So hard to tell🤷‍♀️

mrrice

Record Breaker
Let’s just say I’m younger then most people on this forum. Not 12, but still.

Most 12 year olds I know aren’t sending stuff like that to people. Yes, they talk nonsense and probably have said something offensive, but they aren’t sending racist slurs to random people. There is a massive difference. And also Ross is not 12 years old!!! He is an adult. He knows what the words mean. And also, it’s his account. He is responsible for activity on his account. If he lets someone use his account that‘s on him. And if his account was truly hacked, there are ways to get it back (contact Snapchat, etc) If that was actually the case, he should have done that immediately.
If he is innocent he should have shouted from the Rooftops....."I Was Hacked" but, we haven't heard a response or an apology from his team. I find that very telling.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know this is what the poster says about herself. But since it is an anonymous account on Twitter, we do not know. I do not mean to be disrespectful, but I could say I was Michelle Kwan. I'm not, but I could say it:biggrin:

And that does not mean that someone could not have *supplied* doctored messages either.

Again, I am not saying that the messages aren't real. And God knows, they are disturbing. But it's an unfortunate result of my background, where cases were tried in the press or social media (we didn't that have that as much in my day) which sometimes bore little resemblance to the actual occurrence. And sometimes bore a lot. So hard to tell🤷‍♀️

For me:

The suspension indicates that SafeSport found wrongdoing(s) of some kind that fell under the umbrella of sexual harassment.

But what was/were the exact wrongdoing(s) is a separate question, as Tavi... has said.

For the reason explained by el henry, I agree that it is hard to assess the veracity of the "screenshot" posted by the anonymous Twitter account.

FWIW, I believe that @LiftLoopLunge has deleted the tweet of the "screenshot."
(I did see it before it was deleted. I am not saying that the decision to delete "means" anything one way or another.)​

Last edited:

icybear

Medalist
Well, exactly, These are the sort of tweets you see from a nasty 12 year old, not a grown up. I sort of wonder if someone else got ahold of his account. (My daughter got sent messages like this once, and when we got to the bottom of it, it was a younger brother who sent them)
Well pity he didnt use the "I wuz hacked" card. And it's not like adults are incapable of acting racist or inappropriate. Just have a look around at the "adults" in the skating world or beyond.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I cannot find any screenshots of what Ross said. Maybe they've been deleted by someone close to Ross? Or it's too inappropriate to put up here? I just don't know how to respond if I never see it, but I believe the victim. Too long have grown men in this sport been harassing little girls.

Amei

Record Breaker
I cannot find any screenshots of what Ross said. Maybe they've been deleted by someone close to Ross? Or it's too inappropriate to put up here? I just don't know how to respond if I never see it, but I believe the victim. Too long have grown men in this sport been harassing little girls.

At this time what was posted and discussed centers from a tweet from some random person who supposedly had screenshots of what they say is what Ross said that is tied to his suspension (which the random account has since deleted), to my knowledge there's been nothing official said about what evidence supported the suspension.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
The tweets/screenshots were deleted, but the content was that Ross Miner was sending anti-Asian racial slurs to his student.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here's the thing.

Miner is not required to stay silent. Nothing in the SafeSport regulations precludes his speaking out, putting out a statement, posting something on social media.

If he had been hacked, we would surely know by now. It's been more than 48 hours. That's plenty of time for him, or for Mitchell Johansson Method, or someone on his side to put together a statement, or a version of events that mitigates, or something. Anything. These screenshots were not a secret - they were shared all over skating twitter, both forums, and reddit, and probably god knows how many other platforms. He had to know they were out there. If they were fake, a simple, "I am aware of some screenshots circulating that purport to be sent by me. I have never sent any messages to this person and I am completely disgusted by their contents. The screenshots appear to have been doctored." would have already been produced.

The fact that SafeSport saw fit to suspend him suggests the hacking argument has fallen over, if indeed he ever tried it.

Instead of Miner getting on the front foot and putting out statements, we have him deleting his socials, neither him nor the club answering calls, absolute radio silence, which makes him look absolutely guilty. The longer this drags on, the guiltier he will look.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think anyone is trying to defend Ross or make excuses for him. It's like any sport and any fanbase. You think you know an athlete because you've watched them skate, or play baseball, or football or whatever. What you know is the persona they display in the sport setting. You only know what they show on camera or in front of a microphone or whatever. There are some skaters who are so open that you feel their life off the ice is what you see. Then there are some skaters or athletes who aren't at all like what you see when they're in their sport. I would hazard that none of us know Ross Miner or John Couglin or Peter Opegaard, etc. etc. So it IS surprising when something like this happens and it's also hard to believe at first glance. You/we/us don't want to see our athletes fall off that pedestal that the sport puts them on. But there are people everywhere that have private lives and make really, really bad decisions on how they live those lives. I never cared much for Ross' skating and I don't know what kind of a coach he is/was. I hope he gets the help and "education" he needs and doesn't impact anyone else's life in a negative way.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It would be unlikely for Safesport to suspend someone without concrete evidence of malfeasance. I think we can assume that some inappropriate conduct occurred, was reported and was verified enough for Safesport to take action. It may or may not have been related to the subsequent tweets that were posted. Until those tweets are verified as having come from Ross, I still harbor doubt as to their veracity. But I have no doubt that Ross behaved inappropriately to someone in skating and that was reported and acted upon. What the sexual harassment was, we may never know. I agree that Ross's silence can be taken to imply acceptance of the ruling. Commenting on unverified evidence would not be wise in any circumstances.