Russian Junior and Senior Test Skates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian Junior and Senior Test Skates

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Looks like Rusfed just wanted to make everyone nervous! Test skates will be streamed via 1tv channel website! :party2:
first stream is tomorrow.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
The main question is if that list is from a reliable source, or if they just have added the girls from the temporary entries and alternates of JGP France and the expected

stream will be
Looks like Rusfed just wanted to make everyone nervous! Test skates will be streamed via 1tv channel website! :party2:

Will it be on YouTube R1TV or just the website? Do you have to have a vpn ?

NaVi

Medalist

Personally, I'm not going to watch these junior test skates. There's something special about watching the program the first time as it's being competed... when they're in costumes and there's medals on the line. And previously, there was a sense that they themselves felt that they were revealing their programs for the world to see at the JGP that's been lost a bit. I have fond memories of being wowed by skaters like Fedichkina, Zagitova, Tsurskaya, Tarakanova, Kostornaia, Trusova, etc, etc, et al and consuming it all at once kind of spoils things.

Monotonous repetition is a big problem with figure skating and extending the season with these public control rentals makes the problem worse. I wish figure skating had two seasons in a year.... one setup like the current season where the skaters focus on a set of programs... then a second season for top skaters done up like a reality skating show like Ice Age where they compete a new program every say 1-3 weeks.

I don't like it for the seniors either, but I'm a bit for forgiving on that since they actually sell tickets and make money from it(though unsure about this year with COVID). Plus, I think early public criticism when there's still a chance to change things is more important for seniors... especially in an Olympic year.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Personally, I'm not going to watch these junior test skates. There's something special about watching the program the first time as it's being competed... when they're in costumes and there's medals on the line. And previously, there was a sense that they themselves felt that they were revealing their programs for the world to see at the JGP that's been lost a bit. I have fond memories of being wowed by skaters like Fedichkina, Zagitova, Tsurskaya, Tarakanova, Kostornaia, Trusova, etc, etc, et al and consuming it all at once kind of spoils things.

Monotonous repetition is a big problem with figure skating and extending the season with these public control rentals makes the problem worse. I wish figure skating had two seasons in a year.... one setup like the current season where the skaters focus on a set of programs... then a second season for top skaters done up like a reality skating show like Ice Age where they compete a new program every say 1-3 weeks.

I don't like it for the seniors either, but I'm a bit for forgiving on that since they actually sell tickets and make money from it(though unsure about this year with COVID). Plus, I think early public criticism when there's still a chance to change things is more important for seniors... especially in an Olympic year.
You posses the amount of self-restraint, which I never will ;) I can’t wait to see russian baby monsters and their programs!

hanca

Record Breaker
For me it is exactly opposite. Watching it helps me understand why the Russian federation chose the skaters for the events. Sometimes I would think someone deserved it based on past performances and seeing them on test skates helps me understand why they didn’t get any event (perhaps they were not ready, or the girl is going through puberty and not landing jumps at this time). It may also show me a dramatic improvement of a skater I may not have considered anyhow outstanding in the past. The last season it was Osokina who had quite breakthrough during test skates.

How else would you propose the federation should choose who they send to JGP events if not by test skates? Last Russian junior nationals were 7 months before the test skate event. A lot can happen in those months. I think choosing skaters for assignments based on test skates is quite fair, rather than choosing based on how someone skated the last season, which is quite a while ago. Besides, they are not extending the season anyhow dramatically. Junior test skates are in August and first JGP start also in August.

Having two seasons per year would make their seasons even longer. Currently the junior skaters need to be competition ready between August (test skates and first JGP) and January (junior nationals). Those three who are chosen for junior worlds have to last till February. That’s seven months from a year. Of course there are competitions even after that, for example Russian cup final is in March and junior B is in April, but those who did well at the nationals don’t need to attend this.
You may not like it, but there are valid reasons why the test skates happen. It is not only in Russia, USA have them too, and Canada too…

NaVi

Medalist
Hanca, I was arguing against streaming test skates... not against test skates in themselves.

And to have "2 seasons" obviously one would have to be shortened and perhaps some restructuring.

hanca

Record Breaker
Hanca, I was arguing against streaming test skates... not against test skates in themselves.

And to have "2 seasons" obviously one would have to be shortened and perhaps some restructuring.
I am very much for streaming the test skates. After all, you don’t have to watch if you don’t want to, that’s your choice. But why would you want the rest of us not being able to watch either? That’s like forcing us to follow your choices. If I become a vegetarian, I don’t expect you to live without eating meat too. So why if you choose not to watch the test skates, you think it shouldn’t be broadcasted? If I decide not to watch junior worlds, would it be right not wanting it to be broadcasted?

NaVi

Medalist
Hanca, this will be my final post. The figure skating season is way too long and way too repetitive. The only spontientity to it is who falls or not. Broadcasting makes the problem(and it is a real problem no matter how nobody seems to talk about it) worse.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I find that the depth of Russian field, particularly in juniors, makes all the events pretty exciting, because it’s never clear who is going to lead, and how. 🤷‍♀️ Also, I feel fascinated by how selection works, how the programs grow, and if they get substituted pre competition. For example, last year BK skated to a different music during TS. So, yes, given the opportunity, I would watch. Not given the opportunity, I would want to hear about music choice, and stuff like did Kutovoy stabilize 3A and how’s Zhilina looking. And it’s not like I won’t watch the actual competitions…

as for Ice Age, tbh, I am not a huge fan of the show. I prefer clear competition format and the escalation of the completion during the season.