Seeking advice for 2nd boot | Golden Skate

Seeking advice for 2nd boot

sy916

Spectator
Hi! I've been skating for a little over a year and had been suspecting for months that my alignment is out of whack. I'm at 49 y.o. woman, 5'0", 102 lbs, have generally a Roman foot, a wide forefoot and skinny heels (and skinny ankles), low/flexible arches, one foot is about 1/2 a size longer than the other. Based on the amount of bootwork I've had done for downhill skiing, I know that I have bowed legs (one leg more than the other) pronate in one foot, and my alignment in the other leg is a little out of whack. If you've familiarity with ski boots, that boot is canted 1.5º out to get my ankle and knee aligned, and it means that without the canting, it is very difficult for me to get on an outside edge. I know my feet and alignment a lot better than the average newbie adult skater. :)

Finally, this week, after watching me do FO edges and attempt BO edges, my coach feels that something needs to be done with either or both my blades and insoles. I'm compensating a lot to do the FO edges, and my proprioception isn't as great going backwards, so I flail. I'm at the ISI FS1 level.

My current boot is the Jackson Mystique, which I've been able to get away with for so long because of my weight. I also had the toe box of the boot stretched about one "size" for my larger/wider foot. The boot isn't breaking down, but to get my alignment sorted out, I need a new boot where the blade can be moved to where it works for me. I live in Northern California. My coach wants me to go to Avanta (yes, I am generally aware of some things that have occurred) to have them check out my skating and see what may need to be done, but being so new to this, does this mean that they can only sell me their custom boots? I definitely do not want a custom boot. How does this all work? Would I be better off getting fitted for a new boot with my local fitter and then taking that to Avanta for them to fine tune?

I think it's very likely that despite my foot shape, a non-custom boot (and I have some ideas of which but am open to suggestions), can still work, especially because my skating goals are to have fun and have something to do indoors when it is either raining or crazy hot/smoky in the summer. To that end, can anyone give me advice as to what I should be thinking about?

Thank you so much!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My current boot is the Jackson Mystique, which I've been able to get away with for so long because of my weight. I also had the toe box of the boot stretched about one "size" for my larger/wider foot. The boot isn't breaking down, but to get my alignment sorted out, I need a new boot where the blade can be moved to where it works for me.
Before getting new boots, you should be able to play around with your Mystiques. The blades are attached with screws, so you should be able to move the blades towards the inside to accommodate pronation. For strong pronation, you will likely need an orthotic or other corrective footbed inside the boot, instead of the stock insole. You will likely further need to shim the blades (shims are inserted to raise the outside edges).

sy916

Spectator
Thanks @tstop4me ! For some reason, I was under the impression that the blades on the Mystiques couldn't move or that techs wouldn't move them due to what the base of the boot is made of. It would be great to be able to make these adjustments without having to get a new boot.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks @tstop4me ! For some reason, I was under the impression that the blades on the Mystiques couldn't move or that techs wouldn't move them due to what the base of the boot is made of. It would be great to be able to make these adjustments without having to get a new boot.
I've seen other posts to that effect. What determines whether you can readily move the blades or not is whether the blades are mounted with screws or rivets. El-cheapo kits use rivets. Technically with those, you can move the blades with the right tools and enough effort. But they're usually so junky that it's not worth it.

I have a feeling the Mystiques are too soft for you, and you'll still need new boots. But since you have them, you might as well play around with them.

ETA: Another factor to consider is how much you'll have to pay to move and shim the blades. In my area, if you buy the boots from a fitter, blade adjustments are typically included. But if you bought them elsewhere, there will of course be a charge. So find out what the charges (if any) will be.

Last edited: