Skate Canada announces World team | Golden Skate

Skate Canada announces World team

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: In preparation for the upcoming 2021 ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Stockholm, Sweden, the following athletes have been selected to represent Skate Canada:

2021 ISU WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN – MARCH 22-28, 2021
MEN
Keegan Messing​
WOMEN
Madeline Schizas
Emily Bausback​
PAIR
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud​
ICE DANCE
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha​

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
No surprises with the Pairs and Ice Dance, with the women there was a bit more guessing/hoping and as for the men...I presume everyone realised it would be one of three good skaters, with all three having their advantages and disadvantages - very equal in my view. A bit like tossing the dice, and Keegan came up on top. Congratulations! And of course I'm really sorry for Nam and Roman. Cold comfort in that it was a toss-up and not a disparagement of any of these three fine skaters.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Skate Canada is sending someone who finished 8th at Challenge to Worlds? I know SC doesn't have many options but why not Daleman or even Schumacher?

readernick

Medalist
Keegan vs. Roman was always going to be a hard choice. I imagine they picked Keegan because he tends to have better SP scores. Both are great skaters, neither is guaranteed to do well at World's. But, I hope for two spots.

Emily is a strange choice. I thought it would be Madeline and Alison or Madeline and Gabby. I guess SC has its reasons. Maybe they think she is more likely to score high enough to make it to the freeskate than Alison.

Dance and Pairs are not surprising.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow!! Emily skated a really good SP. Good for her! I felt bad she didn’t get to go to Worlds last year.
I bet she skated the best during monitoring period. Same with Keegan.

Amei

Record Breaker
So Skate Canada is sending someone who finished 8th at Challenge to Worlds? I know SC doesn't have many options but why not Daleman or even Schumacher?

Well she did win Nationals last year beating both of your other suggested options, technically speaking as Nationals was cancelled this year she's still the reigning national champion and it's not like they have some other phenomenal option. I think it has more to do with giving her the nod because she won last year and was supposed to get her shot at Worlds last year and Canada stopped Worlds from happening.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well she did win Nationals last year beating both of your other suggested options, technically speaking as Nationals was cancelled this year she's still the reigning national champion and it's not like they have some other phenomenal option. I think it has more to do with giving her the nod because she won last year and was supposed to get her shot at Worlds last year and Canada stopped Worlds from happening.

just a small point: the virus stopped Worlds from happening, not Canada. ETA: And it was the Quebec government that made the necessary decision that it appeared the ISU did not have the courage to make. In hindsight, an excellent decision.

As others have said, for men, happy for Keegan👏 Sad for Romsky and Nam.😥

Amei

Record Breaker
just a small point: the virus stopped Worlds from happening, not Canada.

As others have said, for men, happy for Keegan👏 Sad for Romsky and Nam.😥

The Canadian government made the decision to cancel Worlds

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
it was indeed the provincial gvt who made that decision.. and back then.... i was very upset because we had a big whopping 4 cases int he entire province... but we all know now that they made the right decision.. they actually should have banned traveling a couple weeks earlier.

For people who complain about cancellation of Nationals as well, as it would have been a fairer way to pick skaters, Emily shared her SP from monitoring... so what Skate Canada seems to have done is to invite the top skaters from the last couple years to submit videos and then they picked... so it was a private virtual event... which was easier to organize, less skaters... etc and I believe, from what we can see from Emily's SP, which was skated well, with a triple-triple... and much better shape than challenge, that she must have earned her spot with her hard work and performance.

I am sorry.. i am just tired from all the complaining about how Skate Canada is managing the skating during the pandemic. I think they are doing very well to keep everyone as safe as possible and the competition as fair as possible.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
What a striking difference between today's Canadian team and the team they had during the last Olympics. I wonder whether it is just a short transition or even if there is light at the end of the tunnel, the tunnel is too long.

Reactions: waj

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I wonder if anybody has considered that Keegan was chosen simply for the fact he is in the states, so it is easier for him to travel than in and out of Canada. For me he'd be the easy choice as the fed wouldn't have to get involved with traveling and quarantining etc, and he's the only skater to compete in international this season from Canada.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I wonder if anybody has considered that Keegan was chosen simply for the fact he is in the states, so it is easier for him to travel than in and out of Canada. For me he'd be the easy choice as the fed wouldn't have to get involved with traveling and quarantining etc, and he's the only skater to compete in international this season from Canada.
I don’t know about that. Most countries don‘t want people from the US there right now, with our current virus situation.
And Skate Canada might still have to get involved in order to get him back in to the US, because of the different testing requirements, etc. That would be been harder since Skate Canada has very little jurisdiction in the US.