(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
R&H and O&W aren't on the list simply because neither team has the TES minimun scores. (SD score for both IIRC).

I think that's what blue_idealist and I were wondering above, but I assumed that since both had gotten solid scores at 4 Continents in January that they must have qualified for Worlds. R&H finished in 4th at 4CC's - just one spot off the podium. I assumed these teams had high enough TES scores for Worlds, but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the info. I guess this shows both teams need to raise their game because at this stage in their careers it's not good to be having trouble making the TES minimum for Worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh yeah, since some people were wondering (including me) why Edwards and Pang are the subs for Sr. Worlds instead of O&W or R&H, maybe it's just because Skate Canada figured they'd be in the best shape due to training for and competing at Junior Worlds. That just occurred to me when I was looking at the Junior Worlds entry list.

Skate Canada's Mar 10 article re Edwards/Pang mentions the minimum scores requirement (but not Ralph/Hill or Orford/Williams by name):

In Ottawa, they finished seventh, but had the fifth highest technical mark, ahead of a couple of senior-level teams, not bad for a couple of newbies. It was enough to earn them their second trip to the world junior championships, but more than that: they were chosen as alternates for the senior world championships. Some teams ranked ahead of them hadn’t achieved minimum scores in both portions of the event, as required by the ISU. The youngsters, not yet into their twenties, had the scores.

Edwards and Pang still have one more year of junior eligibility left, and they will take advantage of it next season, to build world standing points that would allow them eventually to get some good senior competitions. They are eyeing the 2018 Olympics, which is only four years away. Lowe doesn’t think it’s a pipe dream. It’s a realistic thought that bears proper planning, he says.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/3365/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Good find - thanks for that article. :thumbsup: That explains it.

Looks like Edwards & Pang are showing dance skills at a young age that may put them ahead of some of the older teams. (Shades of Crone & Poirier?)

Interesting comment by Aaron Lowe about their potential. Ironically, it also sends a signal to his team of O&W that they need to raise their game so they can qualify for Worlds next year (and the same for R&H).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good find - thanks for that article. :thumbsup: That explains it.

Looks like Edwards & Pang are showing dance skills at a young age that may put them ahead of some of the older teams. (Shades of Crone & Poirier?)

Interesting comment by Aaron Lowe about their potential. Ironically, it also sends a signal to his team of O&W that they need to raise their game so they can qualify for Worlds next year (and the same for R&H).

BTW, if anyone is interested in following Aaron Lowe on Twitter, his first two tweets ever are some nice photos of Edwards/Pang in Bulgaria. :)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think that's what blue_idealist and I were wondering above, but I assumed that since both had gotten solid scores at 4 Continents in January that they must have qualified for Worlds. R&H finished in 4th at 4CC's - just one spot off the podium. I assumed these teams had high enough TES scores for Worlds, but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the info. I guess this shows both teams need to raise their game because at this stage in their careers it's not good to be having trouble making the TES minimum for Worlds.

I'm surprised they actually don't have the TES scores too. I just watched Edwards/Pang on a Jr. Worlds YouTube video and found them quite good. I didn't get to see them at Nationals because I was only there for the final flights.

According to one source Frolenkova has back injury and according to other after missing the OG team they stopped trainings and now Nadezda trains children.

Thanks for the info. As far as Heekin-Canedy/Dun are concerned, after the total disasters at both Euros and Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised if they hda already split up. It was him totally messing up both times so if I was her, I'd be looking elsewhere, I'm sorry to say.

Flaya

Match Penalty
Hi guys.

The minimum for Senior Worlds for short dance is: 28 and free skate 38.

Does that mean that we could technically see some of these pairs from Junior Worlds at Senior Worlds (I mean the ones that are not listed) if they meet age requirements.

I am thinking of the Chinese, the Greeks, the Turks and especially the Koreans.

Can anyone enlighten me on that?

Kim/Minov have never competed in Seniors so I am pretty sure they don't have Senior programs ready and they've been focusing on Juniors for now.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info. As far as Heekin-Canedy/Dun are concerned, after the total disasters at both Euros and Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised if they hda already split up. It was him totally messing up both times so if I was her, I'd be looking elsewhere, I'm sorry to say.

Of course the problem is, where to look?

Nirti

Medalist
Hi guys.

Does that mean that we could technically see some of these pairs from Junior Worlds at Senior Worlds (I mean the ones that are not listed) if they meet age requirements.

I am thinking of the Chinese, the Greeks, the Turks and especially the Koreans.

Can anyone enlighten me on that?

No pairs from Junior Worlds are on the entry list for Senior Worlds with a *, indicating that they are waiting to obtain the TES. Only 2 men (Slavik Hayrapetyan and Chih-I Tsao) are in this case.

Turkey has already Agafonova/Ucar for senior worlds.
For Korea, in fact Kim/Minov are doing all the season as junior. We'll probably see them next season in senior.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm surprised they actually don't have the TES scores too. I just watched Edwards/Pang on a Jr. Worlds YouTube video and found them quite good. I didn't get to see them at Nationals because I was only there for the final flights.

Yeah, I was confused with the news that neither R&H nor O&W had the minimum TES score for Worlds. I guess what confused me is that these teams got good marks at some of their prior events, such as 4 Continents, and even a PB in the short dance score for R&H, but not in the TES itself, it seems.

Here is R&H's ISU page - they got a PB in the SD at 2014 Four Continents of 53.97, but I guess they didn't make a high enough TES when that is broken down.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010381.htm

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

So that is the minimum TES score for Short Dance?

I guess that would explain why Ralph & Hill and Orford & Williams just missed out being named as Alternates to Worlds and why Edwards & Pang were listed instead.

Even though R&H and O&W finished well at 4 Continents (just one spot off the podium for R&H), now that I see the protocol sheets for the SD at that event, it seems they missed the TES score by a point or two.

TES - SD (4CC 2014)

O&W = 27.22

R&H = 26.21

http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2014/SEG007.HTM

Zamboni

On the Ice
I've always thought it was a mistake when the USFSA sends one skater(s) to the Olympics and another to Worlds. The main example of such a mistake is 1992. Christopher Bowman was champion, Todd Eldredge petitioned on the team after an injury, Paul Wylie was named to the Olympic team and Mark Mitchell was named to the World Team. Paul Wylie - the Olympic Silver Medalist - was the skater that didn't end up at Worlds. I was happy for Mark to get to go to Worlds, but to not have an Olympic Medalist named to the World Team (and Paul would have loved to have gone) was really dumb.

Well, Mitchell would have made the Olympic team if Todd's petition hadn't been granted, but was Mitchell given the Worlds spot before the Olympics? I can't remember. I doubt that anyone, especially the USFSA, ever expected Paul Wylie to win a medal of any kind at the Olympics, since he was such an incredibly nervous competitor. He had never finished higher than ninth at Worlds.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Well, Mitchell would have made the Olympic team if Todd's petition hadn't been granted, but was Mitchell given the Worlds spot before the Olympics? I can't remember. I doubt that anyone, especially the USFSA, ever expected Paul Wylie to win a medal of any kind at the Olympics, since he was such an incredibly nervous competitor. He had never finished higher than ninth at Worlds.

Exactly. Paul was a surprise - but surprises happen at Olympics. That's why I think the idea of a split team (so to speak) is a mistake. The decision to send Mitchell to Worlds was made at Nationals. We knew about it before we left Orlando that year. Speaking of Todd's petition, that was quite a drama that year. I didn't think Todd was in his best shape at Olympics (not fully recovered) and hoped he would bow out of Worlds so Paul could go. But skaters don't do that (I was much younger and more naive then). Another reason why I think a split team is a mistake.

Antilles

Medalist
What happened to Hubbell and Donahue? Weren't they 4th at US Nationals? Is there an injury or breakup I missed?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What happened to Hubbell and Donahue? Weren't they 4th at US Nationals? Is there an injury or breakup I missed?

Hubbell had surgery just a few days ago. Has been posting cheerful tweets and Instagrams about her rehab.

From the USFS press release almost two weeks ago re Worlds assignments:
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue, who are the 2014 Four Continents champions, were the first alternates for the World Team. They will not compete due to a torn labrum in Hubbell’s left hip. She is expected to have it surgically repaired this week.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=49941&type=media (Mar 3)​

Nirti

Medalist
The entry list has been updated. No new skaters with TES and withdrawn from Perticheto (Philippines).
So only 34 men and 34 ladies... I hope the TES will be recuded next season, especially for the free program.

Country
Russia
Only today RusFed announced officlal Russian enteries to Worlds.
The same as Main Entries at http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent00051515.htm

Men: Maxim KOVTUN
Ladies: Julia LIPNITSKAIA, Anna POGORILAYA
Pairs: Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE, Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV, Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
Dance: Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV, Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV, Victoria SINITSINA / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN

But it was preliminary, now official.

http://fsrussia.ru/news/1154_aleksa...sya-v-olimpijskij-god-imeyut-svoyu-specifiku/
(Russian)