Where are you watching? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Where are you watching?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
The coverage will be archived on the Eurosport Player / Eurosport website / Discovery+ (whichever service is available in the Czech Republic). But, you do have to pay for the privilege.

That's what's so galling, because with most of 4 Continents being held in the middle of the night, Eurosport won't be doing their own coverage with their own commentators. They will just be relaying the World Feed coverage. Which, as we all know, can be watched for free (possibly needing a VPN) on the ISU's YouTube channel.

Sorry that my answer is not more positive.

CaroLiza_fan

Ah, so it's as I thought. Yeah... I'm not buying access to their website for a few FS watchings a year, and I don't like that they only archive for about 14 days max, last I heard. I'm a slow watcher. I'm just sad I won't be able to watch the 4CC women. What's with channels being entitled to sporting events rights forever when they never rebroadcast (except maybe channels in Japan), I'll never understand. Once it's been broadcast live and the TV channels have had their moment of fame, events should be available on ISU channel, geoblock or not.
I thought the Opera VPN would be my magic fix, but apparently one can only set it to a place in Europe, so the same rotten luck as without a VPN. Unless one pays for a better VPN of course. Well... better to save my money for actually going to skating events, no matter how sporadic it is. If ISU are wondering about FS's declining popularity, maybe they should start here, with the ridiculously difficult access to watching senior level FS.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ah, so it's as I thought. Yeah... I'm not buying access to their website for a few FS watchings a year, and I don't like that they only archive for about 14 days max, last I heard. I'm a slow watcher. I'm just sad I won't be able to watch the 4CC women. What's with channels being entitled to sporting events rights forever when they never rebroadcast (except maybe channels in Japan), I'll never understand. Once it's been broadcast live and the TV channels have had their moment of fame, events should be available on ISU channel, geoblock or not.

It used to be 14 days, but that changed a few years ago. Now things stay up for over a year. Last season's Euros are still up there. (Although, the Senior GP Series is gone).

I thought the Opera VPN would be my magic fix, but apparently one can only set it to a place in Europe, so the same rotten luck as without a VPN. Unless one pays for a better VPN of course. Well... better to save my money for actually going to skating events, no matter how sporadic it is. If ISU are wondering about FS's declining popularity, maybe they should start here, with the ridiculously difficult access to watching senior level FS.

For the ISU events, the limitations of the Opera VPN wasn't a problem for me when the ISU YouTube strams were blocked in the UK last season. But, it was a problem for smaller events that were geo-blocked everywhere except for the host country.

You are totally right. The difficulty in accessing coverage is the reason the sport is declining in popularity. But, the ISU are more interested in getting the money from selling the broadcasting rights.

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
It used to be 14 days, but that changed a few years ago. Now things stay up for over a year. Last season's Euros are still up there. (Although, the Senior GP Series is gone).

For the ISU events, the limitations of the Opera VPN wasn't a problem for me when the ISU YouTube strams were blocked in the UK last season. But, it was a problem for smaller events that were geo-blocked everywhere except for the host country.

You are totally right. The difficulty in accessing coverage is the reason the sport is declining in popularity. But, the ISU are more interested in getting the money from selling the broadcasting rights.

CaroLiza_fan

1 year is still way too little compared to ISU channel and my country's national TV's sports branch, who store forever.

I'm surprised there were no issues for your Opera VPN. I cannot see any archived FS competitions on ISU's channel at all, just tidbits I'm not interested in, like the recent ISU awards, or press conferences.

Okay, I'll have to do without 4CC this time. And that's, my dear ISU, how you lose viewers.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
1 year is still way too little compared to ISU channel and my country's national TV's sports branch, who store forever.

I'm surprised there were no issues for your Opera VPN. I cannot see any archived FS competitions on ISU's channel at all, just tidbits I'm not interested in, like the recent ISU awards, or press conferences.

Okay, I'll have to do without 4CC this time. And that's, my dear ISU, how you lose viewers.

I just checked, and it looks like Opera has changed the country that it uses to access YouTube from when you select "Europe". For me anyway, it always used to access YouTube from the Netherlands. And it was able to get around the geo-blocking.

But, I just tried it using the stream that is on air now, and Opera is now accessing YouTube from Sweden. And it is not getting around the geo-blocking.

That change of country explains EVERYTHING. In Sweden, the rights for the ISU events are held by Viaplay, who are absolutely ruthless at protecting their rights. They put in copyright claims on individual programme videos regardless of whether the video contains their coverage or another broadcaster's coverage.

Fortunately for me, the ISU YouTube streams have been viewable in the UK this season. But, that's not a lot of help for you.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just checked, and it looks like Opera has changed the country that it uses to access YouTube from. For me anyway, it always used to access YouTube from the Netherlands. And it was able to get around the geo-blocking.

But, I just tried it using the stream that is on air now, and Open is now accessing YouTube from Sweden. And it is not getting around the geo-blocking.

That change of country explains EVERYTHING. In Sweden, the rights for the ISU events are held by Viaplay, who are absolutely ruthless at protecting their rights. They put in copyright claims on individual programme videos regardless of whether the video contains their coverage or another broadcaster's coverage.

Fortunately for me, the ISU YouTube streams have been viewable in the UK this season. But, that's not a lot of help for you.

CaroLiza_fan
Operas VPN is no good. The free Proton VPN is much more secure and can be set to the Netherlands

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Use the free Proton VPN and set to Netherlands

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Opera mobile has three vpn location choices - europe, asia or americas I think. I tried to see if the ISU streams would show up and they did when I picked asia. That was earlier today - I've been watching on Peacock so I was checking to see in case I needed to replay anything.

Ross74

Medalist
I'm watching the replay of the Men's short airing on USA right now and they started with Maxim! What??? No Conrad? How can you skip Conrad!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm watching the replay of the Men's short airing on USA right now and they started with Maxim! What??? No Conrad? How can you skip Conrad!
Thank you! Just tuned in🙏🌹 Steven G just finished
Women’s is next..
I am recording it too

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
This is an ISU championship and weirdly not listed on either CBC/SRC (French CBC) website for streaming.. BUT.. it's probably simply because they may be available directly on the ISU youtube channel for Canadians...
I'm watching (in Vancouver) on the CBC website on my laptop, as I always do for competitions streamed live. Ice resurfacing right now after the first group of pairs. The picture is fine, but today as yesterday the sound is weird. I don't hear it as music, just as a sort of echoing noise in the background, like someone trying to make an announcement in the arena but the sound system isn't working properly. I thought it was just unmelodic music, but even familiar pieces like "Staying Alive" used by the second Chinese pair (him an enthusiastic performer, her frozen-faced with concentration) aren't recognizable. Literally just background noise.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm watching the first two groups of women on Peacock sitting in my hotel room about 200 yards from the arena. I brought my ROKU device and an old hard drive recorder. I also brought my dog and need to put her out in her crate in the car when I go to the arena so she won't howl and wake up all the hotel neighbors. Since it is so cold out I don't want to leave her out too long so I am planning to go to the arena for the last two groups and watch my favorite Japanese and Korean women (and clap a lot in place of @Ichatdelune who isn't here).

ice_tulip

On the Ice
I'm so frustrated. How does a person in the US watch replays? I paid for Peacock but didn't realize we couldn't replay it so missed everything. I really want to see the pairs SPs. I tried ISU's channel on YouTube but there are ZERO 4 CC programs posted. However, others in this thread say they are watching replays on that channel. How? It's crazy that 4 CCs is taking place in the US but apparently is geoblocked from watching it anywhere and can't watch replays even with a paid subscription. I'm livid!

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Opera mobile has three vpn location choices - europe, asia or americas I think. I tried to see if the ISU streams would show up and they did when I picked asia. That was earlier today - I've been watching on Peacock so I was checking to see in case I needed to replay anything.

Funny -- I set Opera to Asia and the entire ISU Channel became blocked.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's the thing that confuses me about Peacock. I knew they weren't going to archive the streams for the whole season, but then during Euros/US Nationals, they DID let us watch replays of all the segments until the end of that week. So why not leave all the replays up until the end of the competition at 4CC? I was counting on it since it happened during Euros/US Nationals. :bang: It is much easier to plan to watch various segments "sometime during the competition week" than to be forced to watch all segments live. It's 2023, not the 1980s!

Why, Peacock, did you give me such hope during Euros/US Nationals only to dash it during 4CC??? :drama: :( :scratch2:

Guess I'd better get free Proton for Worlds, after all. Sigh.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Or use a different VPN to do Canada, if CBC streams the full segments. :unsure: