2014 Skate Canada Mens FS 11/01 | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Mens FS 11/01

Art&Sport

Medalist
No one has Dai's mesmerizing charm and effortless presence

He should be safe with gold or silver or even possibly with bronze. Fourth would 95% be impossible to qualify.

You'd also need to check which GP Mura will be competing at next, along with looking at the field of competitors. Mura is above all a great jumper. He should not be receiving high PCS though, IMHO.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I think Adam's fear of failing has eclipsed his desire to win. I am not sure how effective a competitor you can be with that mindset. I think the same could be said of a few USA skaters..

That should actually apply to all skaters. No skater wants to fall. The issue now is that popping is worse than falling under the new rules. Even Chan (bless his heart) did not want to fall as often as he did. :p

Barb

Record Breaker
I am glad that Mura won but I am having literally headache hearing POTO again. It is just too much, and next week we have Yuzu with POTO again :slink:

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
Three. Because Kanako is Phantom as well. :p

So three phantoms from both men's and ladies' will be chasing Grastine? Wait, we will see Kastine in SP actually. And, based on track record are you sure we are not going to see someone playing half phantom half Christine?

OK back to the topic, with all the love to Javi, Mura again made me:love::love::love: The quality of the jumps are to die for, and I don't think he focused only on jumps today, but really put the emotion to be a phantom. I didn't quite like what I saw in Lombardy or Japan Open, but I will definitely watch today's performance again even after a while.

Now just to think about how Japanese men are still dominating the field despite the retire of Takahashi and Oda, they seriously have a chance to sweep 5 out 6 GPs! I wonder if JSF will regret not assigning Mura to Russia. Come on Javi! GPF is in Barcelona!!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am glad that Mura won but I am having literally headcase hearing POTO again. It is just too much, and next week we have Yuzu with POTO again :slink:

Is it bad that I hope Mura and Yuzu skate back to back at Nationals?

I think at the season end someone needs to make a game of matching up the POTO skate (with sound off) with the cut of the music. See who can match the visual and audio up.

Art&Sport

Medalist
It's Jason's technical "youth", I think, that some are concerned about.

IMO, not to worry! Like I said, Jason has the advantage of being young and of not being rushed into putting out the quad before he has it consistent. As far as Jason's late competence with 3-axel, it took Patrick Chan awhile to master his 3-axel, and it was never his money jump. OTOH, Chan magically mastered quads, due to his superb blade skills (that's the secret no one seems to get: practising figures consistently actually helps skaters become better jumpers -- able to crank out those revolutions because they are skilled in being on the right edge on take-off which can provide the needed height to be able to get that extra revolution as well as land the jump without errors).

HanDomi

Record Breaker

I think at the season end someone needs to make a game of matching up the POTO skate (with sound off) with the cut of the music. See who can match the visual and audio up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they place order Mura as 1st and Yuzu as last :laugh:

Barb

Record Breaker

Yes, it is bad for me, I cant with this.

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
I am glad that Mura won but I am having literally headcase hearing POTO again. It is just too much, and next week we have Yuzu with POTO again :slink:

Then how will you spend the weekend when NHK comes? Fans in Japan are proposing to replace the name of Namihaya Dome with the "OPERA" :p And just to imagine if Gracie and Kanako/Hanyu and Mura all perform well in the SP then we will probably see the back to back Free Skate...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Awww, that's great to know. Liam seems to have a similar personality. It's nice to know that Liam and Max are friends and that they support each other. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm a sucker for sweet stuff like that. :) Max and Liam both seem like thoroughly admirable young men.

They were in touch by phone in January when each was at his own country's Nationals hoping to earn a spot to Sochi. Broke my heart that Max was the third man for the U.S., which had only two spots. But cool :cool: that Liam snagged the third of Canada's three spots. From a pre-Sochi profile of Firus:
“... one of my best friends in Colorado is Max Aaron. We are good buds.”
Alas, Aaron didn’t make the U.S. Olympic team, as Firus triumphed in Canada. ... Just before the long program, Firus called Aaron, who was in Boston at the U.S. championships. “He told me to go out there and be amazing,” Firus said. “He’s a jumper. He knows how to be amazing to the crowd. He’s fun to watch. He’s what people want to see. He brings excitement to the sport
.”​

Once in while, they are in photos together on social media from their friendship off ice. (They also have handsome looks in common. ;))

Art&Sport

Medalist
Agreed, StitchMonkey, and I also do not understand why Jason should be something he is not. He is young, he is cute, he is a happy camper. With all the folks complaining (and if I cared about ladies, I might be one of them) that Gracie is not skating her authentic self and that she is "trapped" by a princess persona, why should Jason not skate to his authentic self? That is one of the issues I had with Machida, despite his wonderful skating skills: is his too cool for school persona his authentic self? Idk.

I *do* know that no one can be authentic to POTO anymore and only Sammi can be authentic to Carmen. Will someone save me from these tiresome programs?

:laugh: :agree:

Exactly what I was just thinking. The Japanese have arrived. The Russians have arrived.

Ha ha. You only just got the memo? Come on, the Russians and Japanese already arrived long before this season! But, in any case, the Japanese men served as bookends at this comp. And it kind of strange how Kozuka is actually a more fluid and beautiful skater than Mura. But it seems that Kozuka has lost his confidence and his jumps. That is easy thing to happen in the sport of figure skating, unfortunately.

Japan is really blessed with their skaters right now. On this course they will win all GP events :unsure:

:laugh:

ks777

Record Breaker
True like I said there are different strokes for different folks. Jason is not perfect, but what some people apparently fail to see is how great he is musically, stylistically and in terms of his innate ability to engage and draw in the audience. These qualities are what make Jason so competitive in seniors without a quad, and formerly so competitive in juniors without a 3-axel! Jason Brown is an all-around skater. In fact, many of the U.S. men are fairly good all-around skaters with a lot of polish. Of course they all have different things to work on and obvious limitations in different areas. It is the over-emphasis on quads that has hurt U.S. men's standing internationally in recent years, along with the poor competitive performances of very artistically gifted skaters like Abbott and Rippon. OTOH, it is not easy for any skaters in the world to consistently maintain quads well in performance after performance, not even the top guns. Politics and rep help those with established quads get good scores when they falter slightly.

As far as popularity, Jason Brown has popularity around the world for his breakout Riverdance at U.S. Nationals and for his enthusiastic personality, and going to the Olympics also helped build Jason some rep internationally. TPTB in figure skating know that Jason's talent and appeal are good for figure skating, so they are probably all crossing their fingers that Jason will master the quad over the next couple of years. In the meantime, if he continues to improve his consistency on the 3-axel, you will see Jason Brown contending for the podium often.

I don't get Jason Brown at all. His style of skating isn't for me. I don't appreciate his so called style, musicality or whatever you call it. I like powerful intense skating like Daisuke and Plushenko.

Ryusa5

Rinkside
So three phantoms from both men's and ladies' will be chasing Kristine? Wait, we will see Kristine in SP actually. And, based on track record are you sure we are not going to see someone playing half phantom half Christine?
well Hanyu said he wants to show a different phantom than the typical one so you never know

I kinda want both Mura and Yuzu to skate back to back at GPF just for the lols

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Oh wow Javi:scratch:. At this rate he might not qualify for GPF. Barcelona organizers are really expecting him to be there.