2018 Olympics: Figure Skating Entries | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympics: Figure Skating Entries

QuadThrow

Medalist
Just let me post it one more!

Aljona and Hao Zhang are going to compete at their 5th Olympics! I think only Drobiazko/Vanagas achieved this before but this two had the advantage of the short 1992/1994 olympic period.

For both it will be the third (!) olympic skating partner. Aljona won Bronze on 2010 and 2014. Hao Silver in 2006.

Together with Kostner they are the only ones who have already competed under the old scoring system. All three of them have the chance to medal in Korea.

Hao has a sightly chance for the Bronze. Carolina will take at least the Bronze if she skates cleanly and Aljona's possibility of getting the Gold are at least as high as 2010.

For Hao competing at the 2022 Olympic Games are very likely his goal and Aljona had still the chance to continue till 2022.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
What is the logic Sweden uses to decide that it's a good idea to send Anita, but not Alexander Majorov?

Andrea82

Medalist
What is the logic Sweden uses to decide that it's a good idea to send Anita, but not Alexander Majorov?

Anita is young and hasn't done Olympics before. Those who have already took part to Olympics in the past (Majorov was at Sochi) have stricter standards to get a second participation. They have a special clause for young, promising athletes that allow them to have special consideration when approving the team.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
Well, that just seems unfair, sorry. It's great that you support your young athletes, but Alexander was 7th at Europeans and Anita was 17th. Double standards are never a good idea, I don't care what your reasoning is.

ters

Rinkside
Well, that just seems unfair, sorry. It's great that you support your young athletes, but Alexander was 7th at Europeans and Anita was 17th. Double standards are never a good idea, I don't care what your reasoning is.
It's not a double standard. Majorov benefited from the same clause in order to compete at the Sochi Olympics. But no one can use it twice.

anyanka

Record Breaker
So, with Stolbova not getting invited, and Bukin either, does that mean the following will happen?

- third pairs spot would go to Astakhova / Rogonov
- second pairs spot would go to Zagorski / Guerrero

??????????????

Mattieu

Medalist
So, with Stolbova not getting invited, and Bukin either, does that mean the following will happen?

- third pairs spot would go to Astakhova / Rogonov
- second pairs spot would go to Zagorski / Guerrero

??????????????

All will be revealed on the weekend, until then everything is just speculation

anyanka

Record Breaker
Can I just say this: that despite our differences in opinion, and our nationalities and politics, that with the injuries and lopsided results of some of our favourites, the politicking and the fallout of the report ...

THIS IS THE MOST BIZARRE OLYMPIC SEASON EVER.

I think we can ALL agree on that, no matter who we are, or where we come from!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I like to see things work out but of course someone loses in this case Majorov and in a way MCM wins. And wonderful for Michael.

But let's say the Phillipines was not given the spot and Sweden still had it. What if as a way of compromise. Sweden let Majorov represent Sweden in skating and Majorov would pay all fees including an admin fee to get registered. How much would it cost= twenty thousand??? My guess Volvo or Ikea or someone on Go Fund would come through.

da96103

Record Breaker
I see TBD for China's 2nd men spot. I thought it is given it will be Han Yan. Is there another skater better than Han Yan besides Boyang? Are they looking at 4CC result to see if Han Yan will be majoroved?

seabm7

Final Flight
I see TBD for China's 2nd men spot. I thought it is given it will be Han Yan. Is there another skater better than Han Yan besides Boyang? Are they looking at 4CC result to see if Han Yan will be majoroved?

The Chinese Figure Skating Federation just launched itself a few days ago. I think this brand new federation has communication problems.

* People's Daily just mentioned Boyang Jin and Sui / Han as their representative in an article.
* During their 4CC broadcast, Charlie White and the other (Ryan Bradley? John Coughlin?) mentioned Han Yan, Xiangning Li, and Wang / Liu as the 2018 Olympians. I have no idea where the commentators got this information.
* There is no news on who will be the other 2 pairs yet.