2022 Grand Prix Espoo Men's Free Skate | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2022 Grand Prix Espoo Men's Free Skate

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I'm just watching it now, and oh my god, it looks like Aleksandr Selevko has reached his next level as a performer now, like oh my god? He's so good! I can watch him forever, doing on the ice whatever he feels like forever. Also, what's with his skating skills being evaluated just a tad higher than Morisi's? I mean, I'm not qualified to judge, but these two performances and skating skills didn't look at the same level at all.

Also! I've got a conspiracy theory about Morisi, is he struggling with his toeloops because under Lorenzo Magri he's being taught to jump actual toeloops now, and he's in the process of adjustment? Although, seeing as Mark mistook the second Morisi!toe for sal doesn't corroborate my theory, ouch

Valtter! <3 Such a joy to watch, and I always appreciate when I can take a breather at a men's event, lol. He's amazing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You do have to alert the referee first of course, but my understanding is that once you do that, you can restart. Because no one wants a skater experiencing equipment failure to continue in an unsafe situation.

Please correct me if I’m wrong!
Even if the skater tells the ref, the music will keep going, so they cannot restart from earlier in the program... if it goes on for 30 seconds, the ref will then stop the music and then the skater gets a major interruption deduction.... and not only the minus 4 is not good, but I suspect that PCS would be impacted though.... Restarting per se, doesn't happen... the skater doesn't start over.. they take it from there... so botched elements due to the problems remain botched... If Keegan felt he could tie his laces himself without interrupting the program at all, I trust he knew what was best for him. The issue is that last time it happened, the refs didn't seem to know the rules themselves... it was a few events ago.... We had a discussion about this... i don't even remember who it was but the major deduction was not even given though the music had been stopped... I always defer to @Andrea82 for such interrogations... because though the rules are simple and perfectly laid down in the ISU rulebook... we see all sorts of things happen out there... so IMHO, skaters are best to deal with the problem themselves and not leave it in the hands of a ref :)

Andrea82

Medalist
Even if the skater tells the ref, the music will keep going, so they cannot restart from earlier in the program... if it goes on for 30 seconds, the ref will then stop the music and then the skater gets a major interruption deduction.... and not only the minus 4 is not good, but I suspect that PCS would be impacted though.... Restarting per se, doesn't happen... the skater doesn't start over.. they take it from there... so botched elements due to the problems remain botched... If Keegan felt he could tie his laces himself without interrupting the program at all, I trust he knew what was best for him. The issue is that last time it happened, the refs didn't seem to know the rules themselves... it was a few events ago.... We had a discussion about this... i don't even remember who it was but the major deduction was not even given though the music had been stopped... I always defer to @Andrea82 for such interrogations... because though the rules are simple and perfectly laid down in the ISU rulebook... we see all sorts of things happen out there... so IMHO, skaters are best to deal with the problem themselves and not leave it in the hands of a ref :)
It was Budapest Trophy, Men FS with Naumov.

If he stops and gets the lace done in less than 10 seconds: no deduction
Between 10 and 20 seconds: -1
Between 20 and 30 seconds: -2
Between 30 and 40 seconds: -3
(rule 353, paragraph n)

If the skater hasn't resumed after 40 seconds, Referee stops the music (rule 515, paragraph 4). Skater has 3 minutes to adjust things. Then he resumes from the point of interruption and gets a -5 points. If the interruption took place during an element already called by technical panel, the call stays and the skater resumes from next element.