2022 U.S. Nationals: Men's Short Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Men's Short Program

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for this, this is very helpful information for making me understand. It´s interesting knowing that it´s not that unusual to not have snow tiles for your car. My tiles for winter are more used then summer actually, I put them on around mid October to be ready for the first snow fall and last year I actually had them on until the end of May because I live a bit high up and there could be a random snow fall from times to times in May. I guess if I didn´t need it I would also not change the tiles and not drive for parts of the winter.
If I lived somewhere where there was a remote possibility of snow in October or MAY I would have to move. I don’t like winter. I don’t like having to wear long sleeves.

(I know you are not going to leave your country. I guess if I lived in a country where it snowed a lot I would just think it was normal and it would be for that country. But I could move to Florida or other place where it doesn’t snow much and still be in my country.)

ribbit

On the Ice
I see. Sorry for asking a stupid question, but is it very unusual with the snowy roads and stuff at this time or is it really bad weather? In Norway unless it´s a really bad storm and it´s very very icy people drive in all weather during the winter. But we are prepared for this weather every winter and they have plow trucks out all the time clearing the roads and salting it and you get a fine if you don´t have winter tires on. If people are not used to drive in that weather I can imagine that it creates big traffic problems though and if if there is lack of plow trucks it could be really difficult even if you have good tires. There was a video going viral in the Norwegian newspaper a few weeks ago, it showed that cars was sliding down the road somewhere in the states and everybody had trouble and was unable to stop. But looking at it I discovered that that the cars didn´t have winter tires on, and I was like - how is it possible to not have that in November/December?

When that said, I don´t like driving in winter myself when it´s icy or snowing, all though I have good winter tires and AWD. So I could totally understand they don´t want to make the drive anyway.

This was slightly :ot:, so forgive me for asking.
Not a stupid question! I think people outside the US sometimes forget just how far south much of the US is. At 36º N latitude, Nashville is on the same parallel as Malta and the Greek island of Rhodes, and actually slightly south of Tunis. Longitude makes a difference, of course; Nashville does get cold enough for snow in the winter, averaging 0-2 inches/month between December and February. But it doesn't tend to stick, so few people have much experience driving or walking in heavy snow or through accumulations of snow or ice. And most people don't invest in chains or snow tires, which in most years wouldn't get used at all. I live in the Midwest, about 250 miles / 400 km north of Nashville, and I've never owned either, or seen anyone using them here, as far as I can recall.

Because it's expensive to buy and maintain snowplows and other equipment, and stockpiles of salt/sand, many places that don't usually get snow accumulation either don't have this infrastructure at all, or keep only a very small reserve. In most years, this makes economic sense. But the flip side is that when there is a freak storm that dumps more than an entire winter's worth of snow in a day, with temperatures cold enough to make it stick – as has just happened in Nashville – the city isn't able to prepare the roads or move the snow quickly when it comes. (I don't have any knowledge of Nashville's preparations; I'm speaking generally.)

And then you have the added complication that most buildings and infrastructure aren't constructed with the expectation that they'll have to withstand sustained periods of deep cold and heavy snow...

Country
Norway
If I lived somewhere where there was a remote possibility of snow in October or MAY I would have to move. I don’t like winter. I don’t like having to wear long sleeves.

(I know you are not going to leave your country. I guess if I lived in a country where it snowed a lot I would just think it was normal and it would be for that country. But I could move to Florida or other place where it doesn’t snow much and still be in my country.)
Well I don´t like it either in a long period of time, but it´s fine from time to time because snow can be really pretty. Mostly snow is gone by April and mostly there is not much until December, we are actually most used to not having snow at Christmas eve but we actually had this year for the first time in years. Those early or late snow falls usually don´t last long and the snow is usually gone in hours. We have very different winters so you could never know how the winter is so you have to be prepared. Next week the rain will come back and wash away all the snow, but first is going to be cold the next days. Even if we have periods of little snow in winter we usually need the snow tiles because it gets cold and the road gets icy.

But yes, we are used to it. And if you buy a car in Norway it usually comes with a set of normal tiles and snow tiles.

Not a stupid question! I think people outside the US sometimes forget just how far south much of the US is. At 36º N latitude, Nashville is on the same parallel as Malta and the Greek island of Rhodes, and actually slightly south of Tunis. Longitude makes a difference, of course; Nashville does get cold enough for snow in the winter, averaging 0-2 inches/month between December and February. But it doesn't tend to stick, so few people have much experience driving or walking in heavy snow or through accumulations of snow or ice. And most people don't invest in chains or snow tires, which in most years wouldn't get used at all. I live in the Midwest, about 250 miles / 400 km north of Nashville, and I've never owned either, or seen anyone using them here, as far as I can recall.

Because it's expensive to buy and maintain snowplows and other equipment, and stockpiles of salt/sand, many places that don't usually get snow accumulation either don't have this infrastructure at all, or keep only a very small reserve. In most years, this makes economic sense. But the flip side is that when there is a freak storm that dumps more than an entire winter's worth of snow in a day, with temperatures cold enough to make it stick – as has just happened in Nashville – the city isn't able to prepare the roads or move the snow quickly when it comes. (I don't have any knowledge of Nashville's preparations; I'm speaking generally.)

And then you have the added complication that most buildings and infrastructure aren't constructed with the expectation that they'll have to withstand sustained periods of deep cold and heavy snow...
Thank you for the explanation, this is very good information. You know, you are right - perfect explanation about Nashvilles latitude being on the same parallel as Rhodes. I would never imagine snow in Rhodes in the winter. I also get why don´t have a lot of snowplogs or salt/sand, it would certainly not make economic sne. People here actually makes it as a living in the winter time. They are very busy and are clearing the roads both at night and day when needed.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
When did Artur Dmitriev Jr switch to USA? Wasn't he skating for Russia before?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Has Jason not arrived in Nashville yet? I love Sinnerman, but would love it better if Jason were skating to it.

It thought Jason was suppose to drive but there is suddenly a change and he is flying? Gosh, this worries me a little. But hopefully he will be there in time and healthy!
The post Where he talked about driving never sounded like driving to me. It sounded like they would do that if they had to for Covid in a but not because it was the original plan.

And this is really unusual. Nashville has not had this much snow in around 40 years. Obviously, you can’t be prepared to deal with something that only comes along once every 40 years. So it’s not a city that has invested huge amounts in snow removal equipment because why would they need to?

I’m just very grateful I packed a cooler in my room has a Kitchen because otherwise I think I’d be going hungry

mrrice

Record Breaker
Have there been any practice reports from the Men? I'm still so excited after seeing Gracie last night that I am looking forward to Nathan and Vincent having an SP showdown tonight.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The post Where he talked about driving never sounded like driving to me. It sounded like they would do that if they had to for Covid in a but not because it was the original plan.

And this is really unusual. Nashville has not had this much snow in around 40 years. Obviously, you can’t be prepared to deal with something that only comes along once every 40 years. So it’s not a city that has invested huge amounts in snow removal equipment because why would they need to?

I’m just very grateful I packed a cooler in my room has a Kitchen because otherwise I think I’d be going hungry
I’m glad I am not there because I probably would have literally killed myself trying to get from my airport motel to the arena to see Gracie. And though I still want Jimmy Ma to skate at my funeral I would just as soon it didn’t happen for awhile now.

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
is it just me or does anyone think it's odd that it says "US Figure Skating" right next to Nathan's name in the starting order page - and not Salt Lake Figure Skating Club.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
I’ve lived here for 20 years and I’m from PA, where my family still lives, which is accustomed to heavy snow. The first winter I moved here, we got seven inches of snow. Because it was surprising and they don’t have snow removal equipment, some kids didn’t get home from school until 11 pm. Ever since that time, schools close for even the threat of a flurry. My teenage son has had way more snow days than I did as a kid in PA. Our school very rarely closed even in heavy snow. I use to eye roll at the no-snow snow days, but then I realize how ill-equipped this town is for dealing with snow and with their busses they are responsible for many thousands of children getting home safely. (I’ve also learned that it does tend to ice, without that nice crunchy snow to provide traction. Even the thinnest layer of ice is way worse.) The only problem is when my son has a snow day he rarely has snow to play in! (He doesn’t seem to mind though.)

Since I’ve lived here we had had five “real” snows (5-6 inches or more; sticks on the ground for over 24 hours). One year we had 8 inches. The city absolutely shuts down. People call it Snowmaggedon and are terrified of the stuff. Few will drive in it.

I drove downtown for the second time in two days and they had done nothing to clear even the main roads either day. Also I went out day before yesterday to look for a better mask at our local drug store and the closed at 5! Same with all the grocery stores. Even the convenience stores closed at 6.

Same story yesterday.

I used to think people were overreacting but now am much more sympathetic. They just aren’t equipped, aren’t accustom to driving in snow—something I love—and many don’t even have proper winter wear.

They truly DO love their hot and humid summers here. I’m always contemplating moving back north every July, lol. But then the lovely crisp fall comes. Ah, heaven.