2022 U.S. Nationals: Men's Short Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Men's Short Program

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Only 14 men left. So group 1 two skaters and then ice resurfacing and then last two groups?

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Shyt Willam Hubbard withdrew.
COVID :(
Hopefully it's the last positive test, although I'm seriously worried. Alysa's coach Drew coaches Vincent, Alysa trains at the same rink as Karen, Karen was close to Mariah, Mariah shares coaches with Nathan, Amber's coach is Ashley CG's father, Jason has had to do a ridiculous amount of travel, etc, etc. Really really hoping this isn't a superspreader event because the last thing the US needs is all of their top Olympic athletes out with COVID (and not just in skating, Mikaela Shiffrin and Shaun White both recently tested positive as well).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
COVID :(
Hopefully it's the last positive test, although I'm seriously worried. Alysa's coach Drew coaches Vincent, Alysa trains at the same rink as Karen, Karen was close to Mariah, Mariah shares coaches with Nathan, Amber's coach is Ashley CG's father, Jason has had to do a ridiculous amount of travel, etc, etc. Really really hoping this isn't a superspreader event because the last thing the US needs is all of their top Olympic athletes out with COVID (and not just in skating, Mikaela Shiffrin and Shaun White both recently tested positive as well).
Not to mention Brandon skates with Alexa, who is married to Chris, who coaches at nats....

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because it's expensive to buy and maintain snowplows and other equipment, and stockpiles of salt/sand, many places that don't usually get snow accumulation either don't have this infrastructure at all, or keep only a very small reserve. In most years, this makes economic sense. But the flip side is that when there is a freak storm that dumps more than an entire winter's worth of snow in a day, with temperatures cold enough to make it stick – as has just happened in Nashville – the city isn't able to prepare the roads or move the snow quickly when it comes. (I don't have any knowledge of Nashville's preparations; I'm speaking generally.)

Such an interesting snow conversation! I actually love winter in Michigan, even though I grew up in Oklahoma, about the latitude of Nashville.

Everything everyone has said dovetails with my experience. In downtown Tulsa, my mother used to get a hotel room after work, rather than drive back to her hilly suburb, if there was even a hint of snow flurries! But people and infrastructure don't have the experience to deal with snow or worse, ice.

here in northwest Michigan, the snow crews are out in the wee hours to plow, whenever it snows even a little.

In 1978, there was snow on the ground (sometimes just a bare hint, less than what we Michiganders call "a dusting") in Tulsa for the entire month of January. The radio djs talked of nothing else, every day.

My daughter moved to Maryland/DC from northern Michigan. The first big snow, traffic literally stopped. People were abandoning their cars in the middle of the city streets, some leaving their doors open. It drove her crazy!