Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc retire from competitive skating | Golden Skate

Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc retire from competitive skating

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Already missing their beautiful linesšŸ˜­

Best of luck to Ashley and Timothy, and thanks especially to Timothy for their bravery in representing non-binary athletes in the Winter Games.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
I
The Russian domestic cup series will have plenty amazing pairs to watch
IĀ“m really looking forward for Russian domestic competitions. But I wonder how the pairs competition will look like in the Grand Prix?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This is one of the most beautiful "end of competitive career" pictures I've ever seen.

Ashley and Timothy are legends. They have been an absolute joy and thrill to watch. :rock: They also accomplished what they did in spite of a lot of negative comments from naysayers. Being sensitive, artistic people, that was not without cost to them. But they triumphantly stayed with who they are as beautiful skaters, competitors, good people.šŸ˜ They stayed true to their vision in every way, especially artistically.

I am sad but not surprised. I had a tiny hope that they'd compete another year. Despite all the signs to the contrary! :drama:

I think I'm gonna re-watch The Devil Wears Prada later, in honor of Ashley's spirit and humor. (for the record, I immediately "got" the reference)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The pairs competition anywhere will be a lesser place for me, without Ashley and Timothy.šŸ„²

For me too. With so much "sameness," they will always be a bright shining light for me, for what a beautiful new vision of sport can be.

@Jasira :
But I wonder how the pairs competition will look like in the Grand Prix?

I expect to be surprised and delighted. Watch for Smirnova/Siilantsina and Spencer Howe/Emily. (sorry Emily, my brain lost your last name)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am an idiot. I did what I normally do with instagram posts, and went straight to the writing. And I thought "Where are you getting that they are reting out of? All she does is thank everybody. She doesn't actually mention that they are retiring".

And I was totally flummoxed by the mention of "The Devil Wears Prada". I know it is a long number of years since I saw the film, but I couldn't remember any talking about a lot of people being part of somebody's journey.

It was only after that that I looked at the picture and realised that it was actually a video! :palmf: :slink:

As you all probably know, I have been a fan of Ashley for a long number of years. Hey, her Fan Fest was the second one that I created, nearly a decade ago! :drama: (I should add, I brought it fully up to date in March). From her days partnering Josh Reagan, to her return to Singles skating, and then to her return to Pairs with Tim. So, I am sad that she is retiring.

Although there were a few things that happened during their time together that I would rather not remember, Ash and Tim were a great partnership. And I will miss them.

I wish both Ash and Tim all the best for the future.

I think I'm gonna re-watch The Devil Wears Prada later, in honor of Ashley's spirit and humor. (for the record, I immediately "got" the reference)

Funnily enough, it was shown on Channel 4 yesterday afternoon! I was going to tape it, but decided not to. But, now that you have pointed out the appropriateness, I might check if it is available on their on demand service.

CaroLiza_fan

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting that Timothy said they would be coaching in Chicago. The only pairs I know coaching in Chicagoland (and I don't even know if they currently have any pairs ETA: they coach Martins/Bedard, are they still together? I can't keep up) are Stefania Berton and Rockne Brubaker at Fox Valley. I wonder if Timothy will work with themšŸ¤”

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so torn reading this. I'm so, so glad they're retiring, because I was really worried about Ashley with two concussions now. But I'm so, so sorry they're retiring because I appreciated them so very much. The skating world is a lesser place without them.